Chapter 2

I was exhausted from greeting and smiling so much all day that as soon as I reached my room I fell back on the bed

I was exhausted from greeting and smiling so much all day that as soon as I reached my room I fell back on the bed. I was staring at the ceiling when someone cleared their throat. Startled, I got up from the bed and looked at the person. Kartavya was looking at me with an eyebrow raised.

"Ah I'm sorry I didn't know you were in here. I was exhausted, I just wanted to rest." I said to him while walking towards the closet.

"You don't have to explain. I can understand, I was also exhausted by greeting and smiling at everyone." He said, sighing.

"I know right. God there were so many people. And most of them were so fake I can't even describe how cringey they were acting. Like I get it you want your daughter or someone else in my place but come on lady keep it to yourself you don't have to say it right in front of me. And I also-

"Anika!" he shouted. Startled, I looked at him with widened eyes. Shit i was blabbering. " Calm down, It's okay," he said with a small chuckle. My eyes must have popped out of my socket when I heard him laugh.

That was the sexiest laugh I've ever heard

"Thank you" he said with a smirk on his face.

"OMG did I say that out loud." I cupped my face. God this was so embarrassing.

"Yes" he said with amusement, clear in his voice.

" I'm g-going to go and change." I stammered and quickly went into the closet. I could hear his laugh behind me.

The only thing going through my mind while I was doing my night routine was about what I heard during the ceremony when I went looking for Avni Bhabhi.

"I never thought Kartavya would marry anyone else other than her". This was the first thing I heard when I went looking for Avni Bhabhi near her room. As soon as I heard Kartvaya's name I stopped dead in my tracks and moved a little closer and looked at the three women talking. I want to listen to what they were talking about. I know eavesdropping is bad but I can't help it.

"Yes Mrs. Chowdhury, We all know how much he loved her and I never thought he would choose someone else" the second person said, making me think who this 'her' is. Does he have an ex that I didn't know about?

"I think he was forced to marry that girl. The whole world knows about how Kartavya said that he'll only marry her and not anyone else." Woah was I the only one who didn't know anything about my husband.

"Yes their engagement was a big deal and everyone thought they were going to stay together forever seeing how in love they both were '' The first lady said. To say I'm shocked would be an understatement. He was engaged before? Why didn't no one tell me?

"Anika." Just then I heard Avni Bhabhi call me. With a forced smile I went to her.

Who was she? How did I not know about Kartavya and his past? It seems everybody knows about his past relationship except me. Maybe I should do a little internet research. I know I can definitely find something there. Finishing up with my routine quickly I got out of the bathroom and headed to my computer which was lying on the couch. I look around to find no one in the room, this is my chance to do some digging.