Chapter 38

I was trying so hard to control myself and not to lose my shit on them

I was trying so hard to control myself and not to lose my shit on them. I don't understand, do they not see how much they are hurting Anika with their actions. If I stayed there any longer I knew I would have said something I knew I would regret later. We walked into our bedroom and I sat down on the couch with my head in my hands. I heard soft footsteps then the space beside on the couch dipped. She placed a hand on my back, caressing it up and down. "Avy."

"Did you see how they behaved? What has gotten into them?" I muttered furiously. I ran my hands down my face and turned to look at her watching me with worry. "Instead of apologising to you they are apologising to me because they want to have a good trip. Are they out of their fucking minds?"

"It's okay, I don't expect them to apologise to me. I just want them to see what they are doing is wrong, that's all but I don't think it is going to happen anytime soon. And I don't think I can forgive them even if they apologised right now, not yet. But I don't want to ruin your relationship with them. I know they mean a lot to you so just let it go. Okay." How can she be like that? If there was anyone else in her position they would have lost their shit by now. But she is handling all this with such calm and grace, it is just baffling.

I leaned forward and kissed her slowly. "You are an angel, you know that. You want me to let it go while they are being total dicks to you." I sighed, cupping her cheeks and kissed her forehead. Even if she said I don't think I can let it go until they apologise and mean it. Even then I don't think I can forget how my family disrespected her, when all she did was be nice to them from the beginning.

"Doesn't matter, I don't care about them anymo—" She was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come in." I called out. Ani moved back and my hands dropped from her face. Bhai opened the door and came in followed by Karthik. I frowned seeing them, why are they here? I don't want to see any of them. They ruined my happy fucking mood early in the morning. I was on cloud nine Ani and I had a extraordinary night but they ruined it and didn't let me enjoy the post coital bliss.

"What do you want?" I directed the question at Karthik. He gulped looking at me and then his eyes moved to Anika who was staring at him with a blank expression on her face. "What is it, Bhai? I don't want to talk to anyone right now."

"Karthik wanted to talk to the both of you about something." He said walking towards the window and stared out of it.

"What is it?" I sounded harsh even to my own ears. Ani held my hand giving it a light squeeze.

"Bhai... I-I don't know how to say this." He ran a hand through his hair, sighing. He turned his attention towards Anika. "Bhabhi, Uh I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I was happy seeing Mahira and then I completely forgot about how much this might have hurt. I became inconsiderate of your feelings and stopped talking to you for no reason at all. When Avni Bhabhi and Kavya said that you were making this situation about yourself, I thought maybe they were right when you had an argument with Avni Bhabhi that morning." He sighed and looked at Anika who was looking at him with the same blank expression from earlier. "I'm really sorry Bhabhi, I understood what I did was wrong when bhai said Mahira is his past and we are hurting you by choosing her over you." Remorse was clear in his face, but I don't think that's enough. It all depends on Ani if she wants to forgive him or not.