Chapter 67: Ren New Resolve

They were now on their way back to Atlas, with Yang communicating with Bedivere and Gawain, and Jaune tightly hugging Merlin as Mordred tried to yank her off in frustration. Yang admired Bedivere prosthetic arm, wondering if it could shift into something like her own. Bedivere explained that it couldn't, but it was a gift from a blacksmith that King Arc had convinced to make for him.

As everyone chatted, Jaune noticed that Ren seemed to be under stress. Concerned for his friend, Jaune approached Ren.

Jaune: Ren?

Ren: Hm...?

Jaune: Are you alright?

Ren hesitated for a moment before responding, nodding, but it was clear to Jaune that something was bothering him.

Jaune: Ren, you can tell me. I am your friend. If something is troubling you, please let me know.

Ren appeared conflicted and eventually sighed.

Ren: I feel so powerless...

Everyone paused their chatter, turning their attention to Ren.

Ren: Despite all the training and effort to be stronger, I can't seem to prevent things from going wrong when you're not around. I want to be like you, Jaune. I feel so weak, and it frustrates me. I failed to protect the Lamp and retrieve Oscar from the Grimm. I needed help with the Grimm back there.

He continued, holding his head and trying to hide the tears from his friends. The weight of his failures seemed to weigh heavily on his heart.

Ren: You and Mordred are so strong, and you have the power to do what's right...

Yang: Ren...

Her voice was soft, filled with sympathy as she looked at him.

Jaune: Ren, being strong doesn't mean always doing what's right. Sometimes, we have to do what's necessary. You've trained hard and grown much stronger from your determination to improve, but it seems you've become blinded by that goal and forgotten other important aspects of your life. Nora, for instance, she looked quite saddened earlier.

Ren flinched, taking in every word as his fists slowly clenched. Jaune continued, wanting to get through to his friend.

Jaune: You realize you made mistakes, right? Do you really want to abandon Nora and all the people you've grown close to just for power and break their hearts?

Ren's eyes widened as a flashback of a young Nora, vulnerable and scared, resurfaced in his mind.

Young Nora: I-I'm scared... Please don't abandon me...

Young Ren:...

Young Nora: We did it Ren! Yay!  We will be together Forever! 

Nora leaps in Ren arms and hug him tight with pure happiness as Ren has a small smile.