Chapter 59: Snowbound Negotiations

Ironwood, accompanied by Winter, Jaune, and Mordred, was en route to the Schnee Manor to meet with the newly appointed CEO of the Schnee Dust Company.

Ironwood checked his scroll, focused on the task at hand, while Winter maintained her usual composed and serious expression. Jaune gazed out of the window, observing the bustling city of Atlas, with Mordred seated beside him.

Upon arriving at the Manor, they approached the grand entrance before knocking on the door. Moments later, a maid answered, graciously welcoming them inside.

Maid: Master Whitley is waiting for you in the meeting room. Shall I escort you?

Winter: No need, we know the way.

They ascended the grand staircase, the maid gracefully bowing as she proceeded down the corridor to attend to her duties. The opulent corridor exuded an air of elegance and tranquility, befitting the spacious and serene estate.

Finally, they reached the meeting room, where they were about to come face to face with the center of attention: Whitley Schnee, the CEO of the Schnee Dust Company.

He got up and walked towards them, extending his hand for Ironwood to shake.

Whitley: It is good to see you once more, General.

He spoke respectfully and Ironwood nodded in acknowledgement.

Ironwood: You have grown quite tall since the last time I've been here. How have you been?

Whitley smiled as he walked towards the window, gazing out at the scenery.

Whitley: I've been doing well.

He didn't elaborate much, turning his attention back to the group and noticing Jaune. Whitley approached him with a slight grin.

Whitley: You are Jaune Arc, right?

Jaune nodded, while Mordred glared at him.

Whitley: It is an honor to be in your presence, Mr. Arc.

Jaune simply nodded, his mind briefly contemplating something as he sniffed the air.

Jaune's thoughts: Alcohol?... A strong one, it seems.

Whitley noticed and was impressed, though he kept his reaction hidden. He returned to his previous spot at the table.

Whitley: Please, take a seat as we discuss business.

Ironwood thanked Whitley for his acceptance and took a seat, with Winter standing behind him. Jaune and Mordred stood guard by the door as the conversation continued.

Ironwood questioned Whitley about his decision to become the CEO at such a young age, considering the challenges it would present. Whitley calmly responded, explaining that he had spent enough time with his father to learn the ropes and would bring his own approach to the position. After an hour of discussion, they reached an agreement to assist each other. Whitley expressed his willingness to close the borders, considering the imminent threat of Grimm attacks. He also shared the concerning news about the heating grid and his restricted access to the system.