Chapter 56

"Anya you've gotten so big!" Is all I hear as my grandmother pulls her into a hug . She looks at me and my lips curl into a smile .

I look down when I feel Kayden tugging on my slacks and I pick him up . "Hi buddy." I ruffle his hair and he smiles revealing his missing tooth .

My eyes go back to Anya who's face went red due to how hard nonna was hugging her . "that's enough don't you think ?"

She pulls away turning to face me and pulls my cheek . "Oh Lorenzo my boy." She exclaims a few minutes later smacking the side of my head . "Hey-"

"You got another tattoo ? What did we agree."

"I'm old enough now don't you think ."

She folds her arm and tuts kissing my cheek , everyone makes their way into the family room just to catch up . I put Kayden down and help my wife sit , despite her having a nap I could tell she was still tired .

"stai bene amore mio?"
Are you okay my love ?

"Yeah my feet just hurt."

"I'll take care of your wife don't worry." Zoe says coming from behind me , she sits beside Anya who immediately leans against her shoulder .

"You better." I place a kiss on my wife's forehead letting her know I'll be back . I needed to make a few calls and check on Marco .

I left the room and made my way towards the garden. I had so much memories here of me and my mother.

Flashback 18 years ago

"mom?" I call wondering around the mansion clutching onto my train toy . The house was empty I couldn't seem to find her .

"In the garden dolcezza."
Sweetie

I smile when her angelic voice fills my ears and I'm quick to go where she is . She started growing a few plants for nonna. "Mom I'm bored." I whine sitting on the bench which faced the large garden .

"Why don't you grab a shovel and help me?"

I nod my head in excitement running towards the tools , i reach for a pair of gloves also before going to where my mother is. My sister was still inside her belly so I had no idea where she got the energy to do gardening.

"Alex still asleep ?" She asks as I reach for a few tomato seeds sprinkling them into the soil .

"Yeah , he has been for a while."

"Let him sleep baby."

"I like gardening with you mom."

She gives me a warm smile caressing my cheek "me too."

Flashback ended

"Lorenzo did you hear what I said?"

Leona's voice fills my ears and I turn my head to find her leaning against the wall ."no."

"Nonna wants you to come in."

"I'll be a minute I just need to make a call."

***
We were all gathered around the dining table eating our dinner. I barely touched my food and Anya seemed to notice this . She lightly squeezes my hand from under the table giving me a concerned look .

"Are you okay?" She mouths , I nod my head taking a sip of wine from my glass .

"Your mother would've been so proud to see how grown up you are." My grandmother says to Alex who sat right beside her.