Longing

Bucky was lost without you. It was barely lunch time, and he was ready to get in a car and drive to Shield HQ just to see you. Uncle Brad had warned him this wasn't going to be easy, and he could feel your absence down to his very soul. Melody was moping around the compound without Cloud, and Blue was whining, Bucky knew he wanted you back. Hell, he wanted you back already. He went through some of the endurance testing this morning and passed with flying colors. Since the rest of the team still needed to be assessed. Bucky went back to the suite and Blue came trotting after him while Melody chose to stay with the pups in the main living room. He planned on going back, but he wanted to check on Snow and Jasper. For the life of him, he couldn't remember if he had left the balcony door open for them again or not. He felt like he couldn't think straight with your absence.
He walked into the suite and saw the door was open and went around to check on Snow and Jasper who were both with their pups. Snow was nursing the four little ones, while Jasper watched on proudly. Blue gave a whine and bit at Bucky's pant leg, pulling on the fabric.
"Blue, no" Bucky stopped moving and Blue sat down and let out a howl after being told no. "Come on buddy, it's just for the week, hopefully less" Bucky gave a sigh. Blue let out another howl and Bucky reached down to pick him up while Jasper watched him closely. He wished he understood the wolves the way you did. He also wished your mom or uncle Brad stayed for the week since you were going to be away, just so he could find out what they were saying to him. Before he knew about that ability, he never gave much thought as to what animals thought or said. Now it was always in the front of his mind, wanting to know their opinions and words. Especially with the pack. Blue whimpered and curled into Bucky's neck, and Bucky knew you must not be feeling good still by the way Blue was behaving. He knew this morning, the morning sickness took quite a while to pass by before you were able to pull yourself up off of the floor. He hated that you had to be separated for the week. He wanted to be with you every step of the way with the pregnancy.
"Hey Buck," Steve came into the suite, and saw Bucky just standing in the middle of the room, holding Blue close and looking a little lost. "What's wrong?"
"I don't know what they are saying, Y/N always tells me what they are saying. I don't know what Blue needs, or Snow, or Jasper..." Bucky's face was full of almost near panic.
"Whoa, hold on a minute. You've always talked to them just fine before. You are just upset because you aren't with your dame. I get that" Steve put up his hands, speaking slowly. "You need to remember we have to take care of the pack for now. You can't panic because you can't hear what they are asking for. They have always shown you before" Steve reminded him.
"Blue just seems so upset" Bucky looked at his best friend, feeling a little defeated.
"That's the bond. She's not feeling good as it is, and he's never liked being separated from Y/N" Steve tried to hide a bit of a smirk. He was only telling Bucky things that he already knew, but it seemed to be calming his best friend's nerves.
"What if the serum doesn't work?" Bucky asked softly.
"You already know what happens, pal" Steve spoke just as softly. Bucky nodded slightly and Blue let out another whimper. He took out his phone and took a picture of Snow and Jasper on the floor with the pups and sent it to you, and a simple "I miss you already" message.

You received several text messages during the day from Bucky, but you simply didn't have even a moment to respond. You saw the Hydra agent change their form to a werewolf, which looked painful, and reminded you of what a Lycan would look like from the movies. He snarled at you when you had come too close to the glass and you watched him curiously as he tried to attack you but the glass walls kept you safe. You felt your fire powers licking at your skin, dying to come out, but you knew this wasn't the time or the place. You knew you were frightened, not so much of the situation you were in, but more of what Hydra had successfully come up with. The team, your adopted family, would be facing these creatures in the field. You didn't want any of them to face this, but you had to make sure the antiserum worked first.
"Don't you dare" the hydra agent growled at you through the glass as you looked at the gas release button.
"I'm sorry" you whispered and hit the button. You watched as gas came out of the vents in the small cell and you waited until they fell back and were asleep on the ground. Four Shield agents came over and took over, opening up the cell and going in to grab the hydra agent in their werewolf form and dragging them out to the table. They strapped him down with metal cuffs and you went and took several vials of blood, hoping that if your antiserum didn't work, this would give you a good answer on what to do.
"Ready?" Bruce asked, holding the needle filled with the antiserum, already calibrated for their weight. You gave a nod and watched as he injected the Hydra agent. You watched as he lost his werewolf state, but then his eyes fluttered open and he started screaming and trying to rip himself off of the table.
"Stop, you're going to hurt yourself!" you cried out. They snarled at you, and started taking their werewolf form again. Bruce grabbed a needle and injected them and they quickly passed out again. "What was that?" you looked at Bruce.
"Tranquilizer made for a super soldier" he gave a half smile.
"We had better get him back in the cell" you motioned to the Shield agents who nodded and carefully took him off the table and locked him back in the glass cell. "Well, apparently it wasn't painless"
"It did take away the werewolf form for all of five minutes though" Bruce pointed out.
"That's not nearly long enough" you huffed, and the pair of you went to analyze the blood together. You both knew the stakes were high, and this was of the utmost importance. Cloud had taken up residence watching the Hydra soldier in his cell curiously, seeming to almost be fascinated by him. The Shield agents seemed to be looking at Cloud just as curiously. He wasn't bothered by them.
"How are we any different from Hydra, if we are experimenting on this human?" Cloud padded his way over to where you were standing, studying the blood samples.
"We aren't anymore. I wanted to cure it, but I only caused him pain" you spoke out loud for Bruce's benefit who looked at you curiously. "Cloud asked how we are any different from Hydra, if we are experimenting on the human"
"We are different, we are trying to make the world a safer place. The team is going to be in danger, people are going to be in danger, with those running around" Bruce spoke gently.
"But they wanted this," Cloud pointed out, and you repeated it quickly.
"And yet, how many wolves had to suffer and die for them to create this. It's better if we find a way to fight against it with an antiserum now, than to wait and let Hydra make an army we can't fight" Bruce got down on his knee to talk to Cloud, looking him in the eye.
"I know you both don't like to bring pain" Cloud huffed and you whispered it to Bruce.
"We have to learn as we go, this time at least" Bruce reached out and scratched him behind the ears.
"I think I have a better idea on how the serum works, I'm going to go start working on the formula's" you decided.
"Not so fast, young lady" Tony came over, having been on his computer almost all day. You looked at him with questions in your eyes and he gave a smirk. "It's supper time, and you need a break. We have all week for this"
"Family meals rolled over here as well?" you asked, teasingly.
"You know it," he nodded. "Come on Bruce, let's clean up and wrap it up for the day"
Both you and Bruce cleaned up your workstation and put your samples in the fridge before following Tony, with Cloud close behind you.

Eating supper in the cafeteria was not something you had missed about Shield. You still got the odd stares from people when you asked for a raw steak and put it on a separate plate from your actual meal. Tony and Bruce ate silently beside you, the three of you trying to work out a formula to act as a counter for the serum that made the werewolf serum. It wasn't going to be easy, and you could tell it was going to take more than a week to get this resolved. The three of you went back to your separate quarters after eating, and the first thing you did was open up your phone to see several text messages and you curled up on your bed, with Cloud up under your head. You went through all the photos of the pack and a few selfies from Bucky and giggled as you saw that Blue was around his neck almost. You finally got undressed into one of Bucky's t-shirts and came back to snuggle on the bed with Cloud before video calling Bucky. He picked up quickly and you could see Blue was still up around his neck.
"Hi baby" you called as soon as you saw him come up on the phone.
"Hey doll" Bucky grinned from ear to ear. "How did the first day go?"
"Not so good" you frowned. "The antiserum doesn't work" you shook your head.
"Well, you have a few more day's right?" Bucky asked hopefully.
"Baby, I don't think it's only going to be a few days," you spoke sadly.
"It's going to be a worse case scenario, ain't it?" he huffed slightly.
"I think so" you nodded, still upset at the news. "My antiserum hurt the hydra agent. I didn't mean to, I need to be more careful. Bruce is helping me this time around. Tony is going through the data still"
"I believe in you. You and Bruce will come up with the counter serum for sure" Bucky gave a smile, knowing you were feeling a bit low. You studied his face on the screen and felt yourself tearing up.
"I miss you already" you pouted.
"Doll, you have no idea how much I miss you. The pack misses you too" he frowned seeing you tear up.
"I wish we could just work from home on this, but the Hydra agent that took the werewolf serum is so strong" you felt a few tears spill over as you spoke to him.
"I know baby doll, but you'll be home on the weekend. We will hole up in the suite for the weekend, and make up for lost time" he gave a cheeky grin and it made you stop crying as you giggled a little bit.
"Is that what the kids are calling it these days?" you bit your bottom lip.
"Oh doll, you know what that does ta me" he reminded you, staring at your lips through the screen.
"I wish you were here to remind me" you smiled softly and Cloud put his head more into the camera frame.
"Hey Cloud, I have someone here that wants to see you" Bucky turned around and you saw him move into the bedroom and he turned his phone around so it was facing Melody who let out a soft bark, and Cloud barked back just as softly. Bucky let them have a moment to study each other on the phone before he sat down beside Melody and held up the phone so both of them could look through the screen.
"I see Blue has a new favorite spot" you giggled, seeing Blue was still around his neck.
"Since around lunch time when I got back from my endurance tests" Bucky nodded. "I think he misses his mama"
"Well, I know his mama misses him. I don't even know how I'm going to sleep tonight" you frowned.
"I got an idea" Bucky seemed to be fiddling with something on the nightstand and you saw him put the phone down. Blue let out a whimper as you saw him put Blue down too. "Plug your phone in" he called through the phone. You reached for your charger and plugged it in. You saw the camera move around a little more before it settled on its side and you had a view of Bucky laying shirtless in bed with Blue up on his chest and Melody with her head on the pillow looking over at the camera. You saw what the idea was, and you moved to set up your phone on its side on the bedside table and angled it so you could still see Bucky, Melody and Blue, and that they could see you and Cloud. "Now we can still sleep together" Bucky gave a grin.
"You have the best ideas" you curled up on your side watching your phone and smiling softly at him.
"Anything for you doll. We can do this all week" he winked at you.