chapter 9

Matilda's POV

Finally the day had arrived. A new year has been added to mine and Antonia's life. I rushed to her room to wish her a happy birthday and she returned the greeting too. Gioia and Alfieri came up to wish us too.

This is the first time in years I was really excited about my birthday and i don't know why, maybe because I'm an adult already, I smiled and just shrugged whatever it is I'm glad nevertheless, my happiness was cut short when I realized Claudia isn't here with us, she's never around for important events in our lives I doubt she even knows it's our birthday.

Being in chicago has been really fun for us that I forgot about my actual life, I just hope nothing goes wrong until we get back.

We had outdoor breakfast in the garden and it was filled with laughter and happiness, I found how they argued over little things which i found cute, I can definitely see them becoming a couple.

After breakfast I happily went up to check for any message from him but nothing not even from Claudia, I checked the time it was past 8 already maybe he is still asleep I should wait.

I went to have my bath and came out to find a beautiful dusty sequin pink dress and a silver strapped heels set on the bed, I smiled knowing it is obviously from gioia and alfeiri. I sat infront of the mirror and started getting ready.

********

I looked at my face in the mirror and smiled at my look, my dark hair styled in a bow bun with little strands falling down my face, my lips coated in a light pink lipstick, a bit of mascara stretched on my lashes, the eyeliner and my brows done lightly.

I pulled the towel off my body and slipped my underwear on. I left my room to Antonia's room, she was dressed in a pretty dark emerald green ball gown, her dark hair styled in a high large bun with a black bow at the side, I saw gioia apply gloss on her lips and locked a butterfly necklace around her neck and a matching beautiful butterfly earrings.

"How do you like your look?" She asked her and she smiled so wide that I felt like she would tear her cheeks "I love it" she wrapped her hands around gioia thanking her.

I cleared my throat and walked inside "look at my dress tilda isn't it pretty?" I smiled and held her cheeks "Ofcourse it is just like you"

"Tilda wouldn't you get dress in a pretty gown like this?"

"Ofcourse I will" she held her gown and left the room. I turned to gioia and smiled.

"Thank you so much for everything" she smiled and cupped my cheek

"You don't have to thank me Matilda you two are like my own sisters and I'll do anything to see a smile on your faces" her statement made a tear drop down my face but she was quick to use her thumb to wipe it.

"Don't cry honey else you'll ruin your makeup" I threw my arms around her neck hugging her tightly.

*******

I touched up my face again and got dressed in my gown and heels,I wore my perfume and carried my purse and left.

"You look pretty matilda" alfeiri commented and i thanked him and hugged him, we used one of his cars to head to wherever they are taking us to.

"So where are we going?" Antonia asked and they looked at each other and smiled. "We're throwing a little party for you two at the park?" My heart swelled in gratitude for them and I saw how Antonia's face filled with happiness.

"Thank so much gioia, alfeiri" i hugged them from behind giving the both of them kisses on their cheeks.

We got to the park and I noticed it was decorated with colorful balloons and ribbons, two gentlemen dressed in a black suit walked over to us and held our hands guiding us inside.

People came and wished us well, little kids playing around did also. Music boomed from the speakers, everywhere filled with laughter and happiness. Despite the cheerful celelbration I wasn't concentrated as I kept checking my phone for messages from José and hopefully from Claudia but nothing.

Anxiety kicked in but I tried my best to mask it because I didn't want gioia and alfeiri to worry. People came up to me trying to be friends with me but I politely shut them off with a smile.

****

I had reached the end of the park when I sighted a familiar figure. "José?" I whispered to myself and took slow strides towards him only to find him with a girl.

He held her so close to his body making my whole world spin, I couldn't make out the girl's features as I felt my eyes cloud with tears, I covered my mouth to stiffle the loud sob that threatened to crack out and spun on my heels. I thought he said he was in peru why is he here with a girl.

I ran fast as far as my legs could carry me.

"Sorry" I muttered and tried walking past but the person still obstructed my way, I got pissed and angrily looked up.

"I said I'm so........my mouth froze amidst my sentence and all blood drained from my face. I looked behind her and saw a scared looking Gioia and Alfieri and Antonia too.

"S..sorella?" I whispered. She had fire burning in those dark violet-greyish eyes and she looked scarier than ever before.

"Claudia don't take it out on them it's our fault" Gioia tried pleading but she said nothing making us more scared. Her four body guards dressed in black that stood behind her came towards me and grabbed my arms and Antonia's.

"C...Claudia p...p.please....I looked at her with pleading and scared look but she ignored us. Antonia cried and begged her but nothing changed.

"Please let me go, I didn't do anything please" a familiar voice caught my ears and i turned to see josé being dragged by Claudia's men, exactly what I was scared of, he promised me then what happened? Angry tears streamed down my face as we were pulled into a black van.

Gioia and Alfieri were left in fear and total shock. I sat in the middle of José and Antonia "Why José, why did you do this to me?"

"Why are you so surprised Matilda, you should know how mafias operate already, how could you be so foolish to trust me" he scoffed and my blood boiled.