Chapter (64): The Now & Then

The heavy rain started to diminish with the sun coming into sight. The skies showed authenticity from the darkness as it shined with life. Madeline stirred on the bed a little but held tightly the body that was sleeping tranquilly in her embrace. Wren was resting her head on Madeline's shoulder and her arm was wrapped around her waist loosely.

Last night, none of them spoke a word, instead, Madeline took her to bed and wrapped the blanket around their naked bodies. She kept Wren warm and gave her comfort till she calmed down and gave up to sleep.

Madeline broke the embrace and pulled away from Wren as she sat up slightly and leaned on her elbow. Her gaze was at Wren's form. She became skinnier and weaker. Madeline observed her body and the small bruise on her hip, and she frowned at the sight, feeling sorry for Wren.

Madeline saw Wren's necklace that had their engagement rings and moved her hand grazing them with her fingertips, accidently making Wren stir in the bed but she didn't wake up.

She sighed and got up, wore dry clothes, and placed some clothes for Wren to wear when she's up, then headed to the kitchen preparing breakfast for them both.

.................................................

Monique was on the phone with Madeline, pacing in the kitchen and Elise was drinking her coffee calmly watching her girlfriend bite her finger nails as she processed Madeline's words and she nodded every time she said something.

"Okay... are you sure?... Alright... I'll tell the others. And Madeline... thank you." She hung up and went to Elise sitting across from her at the table.

"So?"

"She found Wren and she spent the night there apparently, so that's good news, I think, but Wren didn't say a word to her. And she's still asleep. She said that she found Wren in a bad state last night."

"Normal. She's shocked about everything and seeing Georgina made her burst. I don't blame her if.. she's not okay." She said as she started eating her pancake and that's when Monique looked at her with narrow eyes.

"How're you so calm about all of this? Last night you kept your coolness and helped us all to calm down. Aren't you a bit worried about them?"

She shook her head while chewing. "I'm not even tensed about what's gonna happen next, you know why?"

Monique shook her head and that's when Elise got up from her seat, walked over to her and offered her hand for her to get up as well.

"Because if Madeline is still mad at Wren, she could've just taken her to her house but... she did something else. She took her to her apartment and let her spend the night for a reason. Now if you think about that, you'll know that things will go great between them again. All we need is for Wren to get up from her sleep and have her talk with Madeline." Elise kissed her cheek, earning a smile from her. "And a little faith. It's between them now."

"You're so cool and that's why I love you."

"Just that?" She smirked pulling her closer and in response Monique wrapped her arms around her neck and stared deeply into her eyes with a playful smile across her lips.

"Well..." She chuckled. "There're some other stuff."

"Like?" She tilted her head to the side.

Monique flashed her a genuine smile. "Like how you care about other people."

"You forgot something."

"What is it?"

"I love you."

She grinned and pecked her lips. "I love you too."

.................................................

Finally, Wren started opening her eyelids, groaning softly as she turned over to the other side of the bed and found it empty. She narrowed her eyes trying to remember last night, and when she did, she closed her eyes as she sat up straight on the bed.