Chapter (40): Moonless Night

A few days later after their encounter with Georgina, everything was normal for everyone even for Emily who sees her face every day more than Wren herself since she sits across from her.

Emily treats Georgina like she isn't her friend or her enemy, just a regular employee who does her job like anyone else and in return Georgina does the same thing.

Madeline was inside Wren's office waiting for her as she was discussing a few things with Eleanor in the meeting room. When she first came in the evening, she greeted Georgina nicely and they talked for a while about the job and Emily joined the conversation but with caution.

She crossed her legs as she relaxed on Wren's chair, playing with a strand of her hair, looking outside at the view from the large sized window. For some reason she pictured herself in Wren's place looking at the small figures walking down the streets and the mini cars passing by every now and then.

Wren opened the door, examining the papers in her hands not realizing that Madeline was sitting on her chair. She rotated with the chair back at Wren, smiling when she saw how focused she was with the small crease between her eyebrows and her slightly parted lips.

"Ahem." said Madeline and Wren raised her eyes from the paper and the pen was behind her ear.

Her knitted brows disappeared as her smile drew on her face. "Hey, what're you doing here?"

"You don't want to see me?" She asked jokingly.

"No! No, that's not what I meant at all." She chuckled as she made her way to Madeline. "In fact, you are the one thing that I need whenever there is a work crisis." She leaned down kissing her forehead and placed the papers down on the desk. "You like my chair?"

"Oh right!" She stood up and Wren wrapped her arms around her waist as she sat down then she pulled Madeline to her by the waist.

"Sit." said Wren.

"What if someone came in here and saw us? They would get the wrong idea."

She arched an eyebrow. "Really? The wrong idea? You know that we're engaged, right?"

"Still. What if Georgina came in? Or worse, Eleanor?"

"I already locked the door because I don't want anyone to disturb me while I'm working. I gave my orders to Georgina to not let anyone in unless if it was an emergency or someone important, so relax and sit on my lap."

Wren pulled her closer from her hips and let Madeline sit on her lap while Wren rested her hand on her lap and captured her lips sweetly, making Madeline smile against her lips. "You know it wasn't a bad idea after all." She chuckled with Wren while stroking the back of her hair. "Anything I can help with? I still got my qualities." She pointed towards the files on the desk.

She beamed at her. "Sure you do. But, umm, no. I was just taking a look at them. Nothing serious. Thanks for the offer though." She kissed her cheek. "You didn't answer my previous question. What're you doing here?"

"I, uh, finished my work early and decided to swing by your office since I'm free." She shrugged.

"So basically you came here to distract me with your beautiful mind and body?"

"Wren," She blushed with a chuckle. "stop with the flirting."

"Sorry, can't help it. It's one of my qualities that made you fall in love with me."

She rolled her eyes and laughed lightly. Wren zipped her lips for a moment, thinking about something while Madeline rested her head on her shoulder, playing with her collar then went down and started playing with her necklace.