Chapter (25): Burning Up

Eleanor was pacing her office while talking with a client on the phone. The phone call lasted for an hour and a half and it stressed her out since the morning. She finally finished her call with a sigh as she placed her phone down on the desk before heading outside and walking to Wren's office. She lightly knocked on the door before opening the door and poking her head through it.

"Wren, we hav-"

She stopped talking and looked around the office and couldn't find anyone. She walked outside with a frown and stood between Georgina's and Emily's desk.

"Have any of you seen Wren?"

"No." They both replied with a confused frown, looking at each other.

Eleanor scrolled through her contacts for Wren and pressed dial, waiting for her to answer.

"Oh, god." She hung up and looked at Georgina. "Try calling her at home and come to my office once you reach something."

She nodded and reached for the phone, calling Wren at home. Emily was studying Georgina's face expression which was neutral and not playful or deceiving which she found odd.

Meanwhile, Wren was lying down on her back on the bed, paralyzed in her place and her brows knitted when her ear caught a buzz from her phone on the nightstand. She opened her eyes tiredly and her body ached leading her to groan as she tried to reach for her phone but it stopped ringing.

"Ah, great." she said rubbing her eyes, glancing at the clock on the wall.

She grabbed her phone and hardly hit the button to redial the number.

"Hello?"

"Yeah."

"It's me Georgina. Mrs. Clermont has been asking about you. She needs you immediately in her office, what should I tell her?"

Wren moved her other arm with a struggle. "... tell her... I can't come to the office today. I feel a little under the weather and see what she will say. What does she want?"

"She wants you to sign some paper before today's meeting."

"Ugh, I forgot about that." She sighed heavily. "Listen Georgina," She tried to get up but her body was heavy. "I really can't get out of the bed, so if you could bring me the contracts here at my house now, that would be great."

"Okay, just give me a minute."

Georgina hung up on Wren and stood up, adjusted her skirt before walking to Eleanor's office, knocking then entering.

"Have you reached her?"

"Yes and she won't be able to make it today to the meeting. She said she was feeling tired, but she wants the papers to be delivered and signed at her house."

"Okay, great idea." She glanced at her wrist watch. "We still have time." She opened the drawer and pulled a house key, handing it to Georgina and took a note to write down the address. "This is the address, let her sign the papers and then bring them back to me."

"Yes, Ma'am."

...............................................

Wren got out of the bed but her body was shivering and her legs were weak and shaking. She leaned against the door frame of her bedroom for a while before walking to the kitchen. She was about to fall but her hands grabbed the kitchen counter, helping her to stand up correctly.

She chuckled at herself. "Pull yourself together Clermont. You've been worse than this."

Georgina arrived and reached for the door opening it with the key and entered the house with ease. She walked around till she spotted Wren in the kitchen, having a hard time standing on her feet. She rushed by her side, leaving the bag on the chair nearby to help Wren stand.