Chapter (59): Gathering The Leftovers

Two days later after their sharp encounter, Madeline didn't leave her house nor went to work. Eva and Paul visited her and made sure that she was okay. She reassured them that she was fine and better than before, but the truth is her best friend knew what was on her mind and what the meaning behind her words was.

Meanwhile, Wren stayed in her house despondent and didn't go to her work either. She has been avoiding everyone she loved; her father, Eleanor, Emily, Dave and Monique. She knew what their words will be. They will say the same thing over and over again to her and she wasn't capable of hearing her wrong deed, so the easiest thing she did for herself to avoid any harm was to lock herself in her house.

Wren was resting on her bed with red and puffy eyes. Her arms were holding a picture of her and Madeline. The picture they took during their little vacation on the yacht, it was taken by Dave. Wren was holding Madeline from behind and looking at her and not at the camera and same for Madeline. Her head was turned a bit and eyes staring deeply into Wren's.

She heard the doorbell ring, breaking the train of her wistful thoughts and memory. She rubbed her eyes and went to get the door, opened it and found Monique standing by the door with a neutral expression but her mind was loaded with words that Wren was familiar with.

"What do you want?" asked Wren.

"Just came to check up on you."

"Yeah and you just did, so..." She was about to close the door but Monique put her leg between the door and the frame to block it.

"Wren." she said sternly and yet softly.

Wren sighed heavily and left the door opened as she walked inside the house and Monique followed her, closing the door. Wren sat on the couch first and looked down at the ground, not daring to glance at Monique.

"How are you holding up?"

Wren scoffed and crossed her arms. "You have eyes."

"Wren, we're worried about you. Your father keeps calling you and you don't respond to his calls or his texts, you got him very worried. I had to calm him down and convince him not to come all the way from Australia. He wanted to cancel his meetings so bad just to see you but I told him I'll handle it."

Wren zoned out a little and tapped her foot lightly on the ground. "... did you see her? Madeline?"

Monique sighed and looked down at the couch then looked back at Wren. "Yeah." she whispered.

Wren finally raised her eyes from the ground and looked at Monique with her lips slightly parted hesitating to ask a question.

"How.. is she?"

"She is, uh..." Monique stared at the wall ahead of them then played with her fingers nervously.

"Broken." said Wren. "She's hurt, right?"

Monique turned to her and nodded slowly. "She said that you came after her two days ago and you had an argument."

Wren leaned forward and covered her face with both hands as tears started filling in her eyes and Monique placed her hand on her back, rubbing it.

"I'm sorry, Wren."

"Don't be... She has every right not to forgive me or give me a second chance. I let it happen. I let Georgina take her chance like you said she would and she took advantage of me, and in the end I hurt the most wonderful person I've ever loved." She uncovered her face and her hands were trembling.

"Wren, you could talk with her again."

"I tried but she's avoiding me!" she said with an angry tone. "Would you forgive Elise if she cheated on you?"