Chapter (13): The New Assistant

"What do you mean she will work for Wren, Emily? And how could you let this happen?" asked Monique slightly angry and concerned.

"She's perfect for the job and that's the one thing I agree with Wren on. Other than that it's a no for me. She's back and I wouldn't be surprised if she had some tricks up her sleeves."

"No, no. Not that woman again! What did Wren say? Did she really agree on hiring her? Is she crazy or something?"

"She's coming tomorrow and I have to keep an eye on her for a while till she gets everything." She sipped her coffee. "I tried convincing Wren not to hire her and look for someone else but she refused and she already needs an assistant desperately, so I just zipped my mouth. I tried everything I could. I reminded her of what Georgina did to her, but still. Eventually she made up her mind."

Monique looked away, thinking of a solution to the awful problem and then she tilted her head to the side and her lips curled into a sneaky smirk.

"Did Wren tell you to help her with the job?"

"Yes."

"Then what will happen if Georgina failed?"

"She'll get fired. You know Wren... wait, you want to get Georgina fired!"

"Yep."

"Then how?"

"You're smart, Emily... you can come up with a plan and it won't be your first time to defeat someone like Georgina."

"... What about you? What are you gonna do if you saw her?"

"Give her a warning not to mess with Wren's life or anyone ever again."

.............................................

Wren turned off the lights in the room and crawled into bed with Madeline, facing her, releasing a tired sigh. Madeline reached up for her cheek and started stroking it, gently, letting Wren close her eyes and breathe steadily.

"Sorry about the whole Eva thing. I know you were busy and tired. I tried to tell her but she didn't give me the chance."

Wren smiled with her eyes closed and covered Madeline's hand and guided it to her lips, kissing it softly then held it.

"Don't apologize, Madeline. It's no one's fault to be honest. Her wedding is soon and she wants everything to be perfect including both of us." She opened her eyes and gazed at her eyes. "In fact, if I kept saying that I'm busy I don't think I'll ever be at the wedding and today I was a little upset and she made my day better by bringing you with her and... she's funny when she acts like a mom buying some clothes to her babies." They both chuckled. "By the way, that Antony guy could be Eva's new best friend. They're kind of compatible, it's like they have the same persona and the same opinion except when it comes to choosing my suit."

"He was dying to meet you. You have no idea how much he loves you and worships you."

"That's the part that I never understood though. Why people who know nothing about me and rarely see my face, idolize me? If they knew that I'm strict and sometimes bossy they wouldn't like me, they would fear me."

"Maybe that's why they like you... because you're strict, hardworking, ambitious and a charming woman. You founded your company from scratch and also you're an amazing girlfriend and human being whom I'm very much in love with." Madeline squeezed her hand in the dark and pressed her lips on Wren's giving her a delicate kiss. Wren smiled against her lips and pulled Madeline closer to her in her embrace and started caressing her hair as sleepiness started washing over them.

............................................

The next morning, Wren woke up, finding the bed empty beside her but saw a note on the pillow from Madeline. She smiled at the note and put it aside to get ready for her day and for seeing her old love and her new assistant. She took a quick shower and dressed up in her dark blue dress shirt, black pants and black jacket and her black classic shoes. She had a quick breakfast and took her car keys from the bowl, put on her dark shades and stepped into her silver jaguar, driving away from home to her unexpected day.