Chapter (44): Anonymous Messenger

Wren walked to her office early, hoping to avoid Georgina after what happened last night and she did. She arrived earlier than everyone else and sat in her office, doing her usual routine, but she knew that sooner or later she'll have to deal with Georgina and confront her.

Two hours later, Georgina stepped out the elevator, feeling a terrible headache from her drinking last night. After Wren left her frustrated, she poured herself some vodka to forget her pain, and now she's walking like a zombie to her desk.

Emily eyed her suspiciously when she sat down and took off her sunglasses that were covering her tired eyes and began taking a pill, followed by water.

"What're you looking at?" said Georgina annoyed, rubbing her temples.

"Nothing."

The phone on the desk rang, leading Georgina to groan from her headache as she picked it up.

"Yes?"

"There're documents in your drawer. Blue ones. Bring them over."

The line went dead and Georgina opened the drawer, looking for the blue documents till she found them and headed to Wren's office.

Wren waited for Georgina with her eyes fixated on the tablet screen, scrolling down and the knock on the door tore her eyes away from the tablet and met Georgina's tired eyes.

Georgina made her way to the desk and handed Wren the documents but Wren was clenching her jaws.

"Do you remember anything from last night?" asked Wren sternly.

"Uh, not really." She sighed. "I remember that... I was at the bar drinking and then you came. Why? What happened next?"

"We had a fight."

She frowned. "W-We did? What was it about?"

"You tried to kiss me, Georgina! I stopped you but you were acting crazy last night that we ended up arguing about our past lives when we were together."

Georgina shut her eyes and sighed. "Shit," She mumbled. "Look, Wren. I'm so, so sorry. I didn't mean for this to happen. I don't know what's gotten into me. I was really upset about my ex and I was drunk. And when I'm drunk I do act crazy. I'm sorry. I won't do that ever again. You were nothing but a caring person to me who tried to sober me up from my insanity."

Wren looked in her eyes intensely, analyzing the look of regret all over her face and ended up sighing heavily yet calmly because she of all people knew what happens when someone gets drunk. They let all the bottled emotion control them like a marionette.

Her expression softened a bit. "Get back to your desk."

Georgina nodded sadly and walked to the door.

"Wait," She stopped in her track before turning the door knob. "No one should ever know about what happened, alright? Especially Madeline."

"I won't tell anyone. You have my promise, Wren. Nothing happened."

Once she closed the door, Wren sank back in her seat from the anger and frustration at herself as she ran a hand across her face.

...................................................

Madeline was walking to her desk, looking through her phone with a file in her other hand and as she was about to press the button, she bumped into someone.

"Sorry." she apologized quickly and continued walking.

"Madeline? Hey! Madeline, wait up!" said Nate, jogging over behind her to catch up.