Chapter (55): The Bartender Counseling

Madeline stirred in her sleep the next morning as her hands moved over the spot next to her, finding the bedsheets cold beside her. She sat up, rubbing her eyes then opened them fully. She pulled her legs up to her chest and stared tiredly at Wren's side of the bed, running a hand through her hair.

She recalled last night when Wren pulled her to her body, warming her like she used to. Wren's presence in Madeline's life always ignited something in her heart, a warm comfort but now it was cold again.

Since Wren woke up earlier than before, she went to a café near her work place to have her morning coffee and to avoid Madeline again and again.

She stared at her black coffee, zoning out, and then a tall lean figure wearing a black coat appeared in front of her. Wren slowly looked at the hands buried in the coat pockets then her eyes moved up to meet this person's eyes.

"Mind if I sit with you for a minute?" asked Nate.

Wren sat silent for second then gave him a firm nod and he smiled gently while pulling up the chair to sit.

"What brings you here?" asked Wren.

"I should ask you the same..." He took off his gloves, setting them on the table then inched closer to her. "Aren't you supposed to be at work? Your own enterprise? I mean it's 9:00 AM."

She stared at him blankly before turning her eyes to the coffee. "... I just needed my coffee first. Not that it concerns you or anything." She said with a tired tone.

"What about Madeline?"

Her eyes shifted from her dark liquid to him at the speed of light, getting defensive. "What about her?"

"Is it me or you're still the same person before you met her?"

A crease formed between her eyebrows. "What's that supposed to mean? What are you talking about, Nate?"

"Oh come on, Wren... You of all people should know what I'm talking about." He rested his hands on the table and played with the table cloth then met her confused gaze. "I saw you... in New York. You and, uh, the woman with the dark hair, blue eyes... I gotta say she's pretty hot but I never thought you would do this to Madeline. I mean seeing you walk with this woman in the city and go clubbing then going back to her room late night... Don't you feel bad?"

"Were you spying on me?"

He chuckles and points at himself. "Never... but when I was there for my work, I was... staying in the same hotel as yours and I did see you with this woman. I sensed something wrong about you two, and I was right. I did spy on you but for Madeline's sake, she's my friend after all. Your reputation precedes you, Clermont."

"What do you want?" She gritted her teeth.

His lips curled into a smile. "You think I want something from you?"

"You're obviously blackmailing me about something you don't know about, Nate! So, you want something, what is it? Is it money?"

"Hmm, no I'm quite rich but, uh, ..." He rubbed his chin, looking up then turned his eyes on her. "I want you to tell her the truth. Tell her that you cheated on her." He spoke seriously and with concern this time. "She's your fiancée and she loves you. Madeline has been my friend since high school and I can't bear the idea of seeing her hurt by you or anyone. You need to tell her the truth or I will." He got up from his seat, taking back his gloves. "I'm not blackmailing you, Wren. I just want you to be honest with her..." He put his gloves back on. "Because sooner or later she will find out the truth whether it was by me, you or herself. I love Madeline and she deserves someone better than you... someone who's honest and truthful. I saw what happened."