Chapter (56): Heavy Tears

Past midnight, Madeline stayed awake waiting for Wren's return. Wren hadn't come home since their argument and Madeline got more concerned and worried about her absence. She tried dialing her on the phone several times but Wren's phone was off.

She started biting her fingernails nervously and got up from the couch to her bedroom but stopped in the middle of her track when she heard the door being opened and the keys rattling.

Madeline turned around and spotted Wren having a hard time walking inside the house with Elise's arm wrapped around her to aid her. She marched over to them and Elise smiled sadly at her.

"What happened?" asked Madeline, calmly, holding up Wren's drunk face. A small crease formed between her eyebrows.

"Uh, it's kind of my fault. She, uh, needed a drink so..."

"Okay, help me carry her to the bedroom."

They grabbed Wren's arms and wrapped them around their shoulders and headed to the bedroom cautiously.

They placed her body on the mattress. Elise went to the edge of the bed and took off Wren's shoes. She looked at Madeline with her hands on her hips as Madeline was pulling the blanket over Wren and caressed her hair softly, staring down sadly at the drunk woman with eyes full of sympathy.

"Mind explaining to me what's going on between you two?"

Madeline turned to Elise sadly. "I wish I knew." She looked again at Wren. "She doesn't tell me anything. Did she talk to you about anything? Like why has she been acting weird towards me?"

"Umm, no. But, uh, there's something you two should talk about." Elise looked at Wren's sleeping form. "Maybe when she's sober, she seemed hurt when she came to the bar. She needed a drink so I gave her one and you know how she is when she's upset about something... but Madeline?"

"Yeah?"

"She loves you... and you should hear her out when she's ready to talk. Just be patient with her, okay?"

Madeline nodded. "Okay."

"I'm going now. If you needed anything just give me a call."

"Yeah, thanks, Elise."

Elise was about to turn around to leave but then she remembered something, so she faced Madeline. "One more thing.." Madeline gave her a nod to speak. "You should... trust two things. Your heart and Wren. Ignore anything else that could be said to you. You're the only one who knows her the most. She has her flaws and you're familiar with them. She could be naïve and innocent sometimes but hurting you was never her intention." Madeline frowned at her words but gave Elise a small smile in return.

After Elise left the house, Madeline sat next to Wren's sleeping form and held her hand, running her thumb over her knuckles, letting a few tears drop from her eyes.

.........................................

Madeline woke up early, took her shower and got dressed while Wren was still sleeping from her hangover. Madeline went to Wren's side, placing a painkiller and a glass of water beside her on the nightstand, feeling the Déjà vu of the situation as she sighed to herself.

Three hours later, Madeline received a phone call from Nate, telling her that he wants to meet up with her at lunch time urgently and she agreed but after hesitation.

Wren grimaced as she stirred a little on the bed and the sunlight hit her face directly. She held up her hand, blocking the rays and sat on the bed, feeling the headache.

She looked at her side, finding the glass of water and the painkiller. She swallowed the painkiller and after it the water then swung her feet over the side as she got up and headed for the shower.