Chapter (58): Late Apology

Madeline was sitting on the couch hugging her legs and her eyes were red and puffy from crying all night but her eyes weren't as restless as her heart. Eva came out of the kitchen with a warm coffee in her hand and glanced at Madeline as she was looking out the window and wiping a tear from her eye with the sleeve of her shirt.

She walked to her, taking a seat on the couch and Madeline turned to her, receiving the coffee from her hand and looked down at the floor.

"Did she call?" asked Eva wrapping an arm around Madeline.

"She never stopped." she replied then took a sip.

"Are you sure of what you saw that night?"

"... I caught her... them... with my eyes." She sniffled and was about to cry but Eva rubbed her back soothingly.

"It's okay."

"After she and Nate had their fight, I went after her but she was drunk. We yelled at each other and I decided to stay with Nate for a while because I was so pissed at her, Eva. Nate told me not to worry about what happened between them and it was all a misunderstanding. So..." She sighed and looked at Eva. "I took his advice and went home only to find her locking lips with Georgina."

"I'm so sorry, Madeline."

"She cheated on me, Eva. She cheated. I should've know that Georgina was up to something from the beginning. Monique was right, Emily was right, everyone was right and I was the one who was blind to admit that Georgina's a deceitful person."

Madeline's phone rang on the table across from her and without getting up or glancing at it she knew it was Wren. Eve looked back and forth between the phone and Madeline and decided to get up and hang up on Wren and she did, then went back to join Madeline as new set of tears ran down her cheeks.

...................................................

After the hung up, Wren slammed the phone on the desk and leaned forward on the desk covering her face with a weary sigh escaping her lips then she stood up, took her jacket and her phone. She was about to leave the office but Emily came in.

"Where are you going?"

"I need to see Madeline."

"Wren, no. Not now."

Wren looked around furious before she met her friend's eyes. "Then when?!" She yelled out of frustration.

"Definitely not now! She's pissed at you. You need to give her some space!" She yelled back. "You owe her that. You're suffocating the poor woman. She needs her time."

"She's slipping away from me, Em! I have to do something!"

She jabbed her chest with her finger and stared up at Wren with anger. "That's because you cheated on her with the one person we warned you about from the moment she stepped foot on this marble floor, but you didn't listen to us when we kept saying over and over again that this woman is a snake!"

"I love Madeline and I can't let her go away from me like that. I made a stupid mistake that I never wanted to do in the first place. Hell, I even made more than just one mistake!"

"Well, you should've thought about that before you locked lips with that deceiving manipulative bitch!"

Wren sighed angrily and walked past Emily with a deep frown on her face. She heard Emily call out her name but she ignored her and headed to the elevator glancing at Emily one last time before the door got closed.

...........................................

Madeline took Eva's advice and was heading for a walk to breathe fresh air after she calmed down. She left the building and walked on the pavement but then stopped when she heard the voice that made her heart clench inside her chest.

"Madeline..." said Wren softly.

Madeline thought that she was hallucinating but she heard it again. Swallowing with tears gathered in her eyes already, she turned around and saw Wren standing before her eyes looking depressed and with dark circles under her eyes.

"What do you want from me?" asked Madeline with a bitter tone and she tried to keep a stone cold face.

"Can we talk?" Wren gazed at her eyes pleadingly and Madeline stared at them and felt her eyes sting from the tears that were filling her eyes slowly. "Please."

"Talk?!" She scoffed. "After what you did, you want to talk? Fine let's talk about how Georgina was on top of you and you two were kissing or God knows what else happened between you two when I was out."

Wren stepped closer to her with watery eyes. "Madeline, please, I know what you saw was unforgivable but listen to me..."

"Listen to you! For god's sake, Wren! You don't love me like you say. You've been acting weird around me. You avoided me for days and weeks and every time I tried to talk to you, you pushed me away. You made me think that I did something wrong or that I upset you..." Her voice broke and Wren let a tear drop from her eye. "Then you show up at the café, drunk, and pick a fight with Nate for no apparent reason and I go home for you after this... to see you and make sure that you're okay and try to talk with you again and again." She inhaled sharply. "And what did I see? I see you with another woman... and not me... not your fiancée... not the woman you're supposed to love. Not with the woman who deeply cares about you even when you lose your temper over nothing."

Wren swallowed the lump that formed in her throat and looked down at the ground, letting the tears fall freely from her eyes. She knew that Madeline was right at every word that escaped her lips and the more Madeline talked with a broken voice, the more Wren felt suffocating from the anger she was feeling at herself.

"Just leave me, Wren. Please. It would be best if we don't get married."

"No, no, no..." said Wren snapping her head and shaking it vigorously at her words and grabbed Madeline's arms. "I love you, Madeline. I do. I don't think I could live without you. I want to marry you. I want you and need you in my life. I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this to happen." Her voice broke as well as she had no other words to put to express how distressful she felt.

A sob escaped her mouth as she broke free from the grip. "It's too late for that apology. If you did love me as you say, you wouldn't have cheat on me. You really hurt me."

With that she turned around and walked away down the street while Wren balled her fists and cried in her spot feeling vulnerable and helpless.

A/N
Heeeeyyy, sup everyone? I hope you're all doing well. I just wanted to let you know that I read your comments and they bring joy to my heart. Knowing your thoughts and feelings regarding the story or the characters means so much. You guys are awesome, and I thank you for your votes and feedback. I hope you're enjoying this bumpy ride so far with me *smiles* Have a nice day everyone!