Chapter (9): Glimpses Of Wistful Memories

Wren and Madeline were up early to spend some time before each goes to work. They were sitting on the bed, fully clothed except for Wren who was wearing her yesterday's clothes but left her shirt unbuttoned. They were drinking their coffee silently but at the same time enjoying not only the coffee but their company and the warmth of their bodies.

"I'm glad I could use my legs after last night." said Wren putting the mug on the bedside table and turning to Madeline who giggled softly. "I'm serious." She chuckled.

"I can see that very well. You're being deadly serious." she said sarcastically pointing at Wren's supposedly serious face.

She smiled more at her. "Alright, I can't pull my serious work face when I'm with you."

"Mmm, I'm not really sure about that. When I worked for you, you were all about seriousness. You used to scare me sometimes because you were so... unexpected."

"I did?"

"Mm-hmm." She sipped her last drops and put her mug aside as well. "You barely smiled at me or anyone except for... when we got closer to each other and then our relationship grew more from friends to boss and employee kind of involved in a secret relationship." She smiled.

"We weren't kind of involved, we were involved." She confirmed. "Did you ever, uh, wanted to kill your boss? Kill me maybe?"

She groaned. "At times, yes! Especially my first day there when you asked for a coffee. You were horrible, you even didn't say thank you or anything."

"Thank you." she said smugly and gave her a peck. "And I think last night you got your sweet little vengeance on me."

"Still! You owe me a lot."

"I know" She cupped Madeline's cheeks gently and gave her a soft kiss before dragging her lips up to the forehead and pecking it, showing her affection towards her. "I hope I'll see you today. I'll give you a call."

Madeline nodded with a smile across her face and Wren stood up, buttoning up her shirt and took her jacket tossing it over her shoulder before leaving the house.

..............................................

Two hours later, Madeline arrived at her work and then Eva reminded her that all four of them need to go and check out the bridesmaids' dresses. She agreed and called Emily while Eva called Monique. Only three arrived at the boutique, Monique, Eva and Madeline.

"Where is Emily?" asked Monique and they both shrugged.

"She is probably on her way." said Madeline and Eva pulled out her phone and started dialing Emily.

"She isn't answering her phone" said Eva, shaking her head. "I'm gonna try again."

Meanwhile at Wren's office, Emily entered with the phone in her hand, hanging up on Eva's call. Wren put the pen down and looked at her while Emily was shifting from one foot to another.

"What do you want now?" asked Wren, giving Emily a quick glance before returning her eyes back on the laptop.

"I need to go with Eva and the rest."

"Go where?"

"To the boutique."

Wren sighed and was about to refuse but Emily cut her off and she realized why Wren looked so emotionally tired today but she ignored opening up the topic. "I know, I know. I have work to do but they need me too. It's Eva's wedding and I'm one of her bridesmaids, I'm supposed to be there for her."

Wren ran a hand across her face then muttered. "Okay."

"What?"

"You may go."