Chapter (49): A Friendly Date

Madeline was at the hospital in her mother's room, joining her family which made her mother joyful, and it set Madeline's mind on better things other than sitting and waiting for Wren to call.

"So, Wren's in New York?" asked Dan.

"Yep. She has a meeting there."

"How long is she gonna be there exactly?" asked Rose.

"Why are you asking me these stuff?"

"Curious!" said Rose and Dan at the same time.

"Aye, kids, stop it. Leave her alone." said Lena.

"We're just curious." said Dan, defending himself.

"She already told you where Wren is. Just cut it out and busy the girl with some other topic."

Madeline chuckled with Rose. "Mom, it's okay. I do miss Wren but she calls me whenever she's free."

"When was the last time she called you?" asked Rose, leading Lena to roll her eyes and huff dramatically at her older daughter.

"This morning... today's her meeting, so I don't expect any phone calls from her unless she's totally free."

"That's very understanding from you, Madeline." said Lena stroking her hand.

"Well, I worked with her for months so I know when she's really, really busy."

"Yeah about that, did you do it in the office though?" asked Dan and everyone in the room groaned loudly at him.

"Boy, you sure you are my son?!"

"Your one and only boy, mom." he said batting his eyelashes and the girls laughed at him.

Madeline's phone buzzed in her pockets and she pulled it out and stared at the screen for a few seconds.

"Is it Wren?"

"Uh, no." She stood up. "Excuse me," She headed outside the room, leaving them with question marks across their faces. "Hello?"

"Hi... It's me, Nate!"

"Oh, hey, Nate! How are you?"

"I'm fine. I just wanted to call you and ask you for a cup of coffee with me, you know. For old time's sake. How does now sound to you? Only if you're free and want to hang out with me."

She glanced at her watch, smiling. "Okay, sounds good. Where do you wanna go?"

"I know a café. It's an outdoor one. Serves the best drinks. You'll like it!"

"Okay. Text me the address?"

"Of course. I'm looking forward to see you, Madeline."

"Me too, Nate. See you in a few, okay?"

"You got it."

He hung up and she walked back to the room, opening the door and made her way to the arm chair, grabbing her bag.

"I've to go."

"Where?" asked Dan, and Lena hit the back of his head lightly. "Ow!"

Madeline chuckled. "Just meeting an old friend." She walked to the side of the bed and planted a kiss on her mother's cheek. "See you later, mom."

"Bye, sweetie."

She waved to the others as she closed the door behind her.

...................................................

Wren was in the meeting room with Eleanor, Georgina and the upset clients. It's been two hours since the beginning of the meeting and still the clients weren't satisfied. Georgina was writing down notes and tried to engage in the topic and offer solutions and both women let her talk, hoping it will end things well for both companies.