Chapter (38): Purging The Past

Dave was in the living room, resting on the couch with Emily, watching TV, but his mind drifted back to the moment when he divulged the hurtful truth to Wren. She has been avoiding his texts and calls for the past four days and he couldn't blame her though. He was concerned about her, he knows her when she's hurt but he also knows that she has Madeline and will keep her safe from any harm she could do to herself.

He looked down at Emily who was leaning her head on his shoulder with her eyes focused on the TV, watching something that made her laugh softly. She felt his eyes were staring at her, so she raised her head from his shoulder and met his eyes, smiling.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing. I just love it when you laugh."

She blushed slightly and averted her eyes away from him, hiding her shyness.

"Em?" he asked softly.

"Yeah?"

He swallowed softly and grabbed the remote from the coffee table, to mute the sound so that he could talk with her.

"You know how much I love you and I don't like keeping secrets from you because I don't want to hurt you, like ever."

"Okay." she said waiting for what's coming next.

"There's something you should know about me, but before I say it, I want you to hear me out till I finish what I need to say." She nodded. "I did something... something terrible to Wren and she didn't know about it, but I guess I was wrong because it turned out she knew about it." He sighed heavily.

"What are you getting at, Dave?" she frowned in confusion.

"Okay, umm... a long time ago when we were in college, I, uh," He looked down at his hands then met her eyes. "I slept with her girlfriend, ex-girlfriend, Georgina... I slept with her behind Wren's back when they were in a relationship." She looked down, feeling a little bit hurt even though those weren't news to her. "I feel awful about myself these past days because I regret it, like fully regret it and I keep wishing if I've never done something stupid like that and but I'm a different person now all because of you."

She met his eyes and smiled weakly at him. "Dave, I know about you and Georgina."

His brows knitted in confusion. "Yo- You know?"

She nodded. "I do."

He grabbed her hands in his and locked eyes with her hurt ones. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, I'm sorry I hurt Wren. I know she's your best friend and you always cared for her and protected her from anything harmful, but I wish if you protected her from me when I acted so selfish and stupid back then and I'm sorry for not telling you about this before."

"Dave, it's fine. It was the old you." She reached up and caressed his cheek. "We all did stupid regretful mistakes in our lives and I did too. And if there is someone you need to apologize to, it's not me... it's Wren. Babe, you did nothing to hurt me. I know you."

He blinked twice. "I did talk to her or should I say tried and she was so mad at me. I've been trying to call her ever since we had the conversation, but she's ignoring me and I'm a little bit worried about her. She's my sister after all and I love her."

She pecked his lips and he smiled a little. "I know you do. I'm gonna talk to her tomorrow, okay? And she will listen to me and don't worry I'll fix the problem."

"Have I ever told you that I love you?" He smiled.

"Every day." She replied, giving him a soft kiss on his lips then pulled back. "I love you and I promise I'll handle it and you'll be happy about it, but right now please smile and watch this movie with me, it's so funny."