Chapter (45): Investigation:

Madeline barely slept that night because of her mind. Her thoughts went back and forth between Wren's words and the photos that her eyes saw. It was confusing on which one to believe. Wren or the photos?

It was the second time Wren lied about something that has to do with Georgina. She wouldn't have minded if Wren told her where she was really going that night and she would have approved on helping Georgina without causing trouble or being jealous.

The next morning, she called Eva and both of them were sitting on the couch in the living room. Madeline was holding her cup of coffee between her palms, resting her legs on the couch and Eva was sitting at the end of the couch waiting for Madeline to talk.

"She lied to me." said Madeline, staring down at her cup. "That's the second time she does that. I thought she trusted me but I guess I was wrong."

"Did she call you?"

She shook her head and bit her lower lap. "No. I told her not to."

Eva sighed, running a hand through her hair. "Look, Madeline. I don't know what happened but I think you should try and listen to her. You said you were upset last night to even listen to her explaining herself and maybe you should give her the chance to. Paul and I fight all the time, sometimes because of women hitting on him and other times because he keeps things from me. It's normal and I know you're mad at her for lying to you about Georgina for the second time, but if you look close enough at the photos you'll see that Wren was really helping her and nothing else."

"She said that Georgina kissed her."

"Yep. My point exactly. Georgina's the one who kissed her and not the opposite and she was drunk, right? Did Wren kiss her back?"

"She said no, but I don't know who I should believe, Eva."

"You want my opinion?" She nodded. "I think we should go to Elise and let her tell the story from her point of view since she was the person who saw them together that night. Elise is honest, Madeline, she always tells the truth."

"That's what you suggest?"

"Yeah. It's the only thing we can do since you don't want to hear Wren's story."

She gave her a small smile and Eva scooted closer, wrapping her arms around her for comfort.

.....................................................

Wren was in her office, leaning against the chair, looking up at the ceiling, hoping that her phone will ring. She was waiting for Madeline to call and say something, anything. She gave her privacy, time and space like she wanted, to think about everything, but the more time she took, the more Wren got worried.

She heard a knock on the door, but didn't bother and see who it was. Henry entered the office smiling at his daughter and she returned the smile back when he approached her across from her desk.

"Hey, dad." she said sadly, releasing a small sigh.

"Is this how you greet your father?" He joked and she chuckled, getting up from the chair to give him a proper hug.

"Sorry, I'm just having a lot on my mind."

"Talk to me then. I'm listening."

"Don't you like have a plane to catch?"

He glanced at his watch. "It can wait. The plane doesn't take off until 2:00 and Eleanor is still at home, packing her bags. Don't change the subject and talk to me."

She took a deep breath. "Madeline and I had a fight last night and she isn't talking to me. I admit it's all my fault and she was right about every single word that came out of her mouth. She spent the night at her apartment to avoid me. She needed time and privacy so I let her be."