Chapter 9

Maddie was out working with Bel when a silver truck came up the drive, Colton emerging from the vehicle after a moment. 'Afternoon Maddie.'

She smiled, brushing down her mare with one of her new brushes as he walked over to the yard. 'Afternoon Colton.'

'Mind if I come in?'

'Not at all. I need to do more training with this girl being around other people anyway.' She replied. 'There's some licorice in a container by the gate, bring a couple pieces in with you. The way to any horse's heart is through their stomach.'

He chuckled, grabbing a couple pieces like she had suggested before he walked in. Bel's head lifted as he approached, the mare snorting softly and Maddie calmed her before he came closer. 'Hey Bel. Remember me?' He held out the licorice towards her. 'Look what I've got. Yummy yummy.'

Maddie giggled softly. 

'What?' He questioned her. 'Don't tell me you don't talk to her like that?'

'Of course I do, just not when other people are around.' She replied as Bel eagerly took the treat he offered her. 'So, what brings you by this afternoon?'

'A couple things actually. My folks and I are going to be out of town for a couple weeks and we've got no one to go look after the horses and goat while we're gone-'

'And you're wondering if I might be interested?'

He nodded. 'Would you be? If you can't, we understand but we haven't had any luck finding anyone else. Haven't exactly made any friends around her just yet.'

'I'd be happy to do it.' Maddie started brushing down the mustang's legs. 'It's no trouble at all.'

'Grandma would be happy to pay you for it-'

'Oh that's not needed.' She assured him. 'Just tell her one batch of those chocolate chip cookies of hers and we'll be square.'

'You sure?'

'Yep.'

'That's a load off my mind then. They'll be well looked after while we're gone if you're checking in on them.'

'How are they going? I've been so busy around here I haven't had a chance to come by and see them.'

'Good, really good.' Colton pushed an inquisitive mare's nose away from his pocket. 'Rocky's wound is completely healed up now and without any scars. The farrier was out last week and we've got him and Biscuit booked in to have their teeth done after Christmas.'

'Oh that's great news.'

'What about you though? How's Bel coming along?'

'We're doing well, aren't we girl?' She questioned, giving her mare a scratch on the wither. 'Still taking things slow, that's the only way to train a horse though. I'm thinking she'll be ready for me to start putting weight on her soon but we're still working up to that of course.' After exchanging her brush for a comb she turned back to Colton. 'What else did you come by for?'

'Bel's a Spanish Mustang, right?'

She raised an eyebrow. 'Yes... Why?'

'There's an article in the newspaper about Spanish Mustangs, thought you might be interested.' 

'Okay... Sounds interesting.'

'I'll just go grab it from the truck.'

Colton headed out of the yard and while she waited for him to return she kept combing through the mare's mane.

'Here it is.' He exclaimed on his return. 'Maybe Bel came from the same lot?'

A smile crept across her lips as she read the article he'd pulled from the newspaper and when she got to the part of 'Mustang Maddie', she began to laugh. 'I told Jane I didn't want a fuss to be made.'