Chapter 7

Maddie was still sleeping soundly when a loud commotion broke out, jolting her from her sleep. A moment later she realized it was only Cordell's booming voice down the hallway and not the end of the world, the teen taking a moment to catch her breath. Wearily she rubbed her eyes then her temples. It was the third time in the week that she had woken with a headache. Must have slept wonky again... She thought while she rubbed her neck. Or I might need a new pillow...

With a tired sigh she got out of bed and made her way down to Bonham and Abeline's bedroom where Cordell's voice came from. 'Do you have to be so loud in the morning?' She questioned, stopping in the doorway. 'You'd wake the dead.'

Cordell turned around to her. 'Good-good to see you too this morning Maddie.' 

'Okay...' She mumbled tiredly. 'Why are you so cheerful this morning?'

'It's the weekend. It's, its a brand new day-' He stopped, looking at Maddie. 'You okay?'

'Slept wonky and woke up with a headache. Didn't help that you make enough noise for a herd of elephants.'

'That I can agree with.' Bonham said, closing the drawer of the bedside table where he kept his gun safe. 'You didn't come to just bring us coffee.'

'No.. Um, we... are having breakfast at The Side Step and y'all are coming.' 

'That's a nice idea.' Abeline said. 'Is it a special occasion?'

'No, not a one. Other than the fact that your refrigerator is broken.'

'What?' Bonham questioned.

'Yeah. So, get up, get dressed. Liam-'

Maddie shook her head as Cordell headed down the hallway to rouse his younger brother, wincing as a sharp pain went through her head. 

'Maddie honey, you okay?' Abeline questioned as she placed her mug of coffee on the bedside table.

'Yeah, it's just this headache.'

'Think some hugs might help?'

At the invitation Maddie climbed onto the bed, snuggling up to Abeline as Bonham left to go find some paper towel to clean up the coffee Cordell had spilt on the floor. Abeline placed her arm around her and she closed her eyes in contentment. 'That's better...'

'We might have to get you a new pillow if you keep waking up with headaches.'

'Sounds like a good idea.' Maddie mumbled then yawned softly. 'But hey, at least I haven't woken you guys up this week.'

'I know, you've been doing really good.' She encouraged. 'You know, Christmas isn't far away. Have you thought about what you might want for Christmas yet?'

'I've already got everything I want.' She replied as she opened her eyes. 'I've got a family now, that's all I could ask for.'

Abeline smiled. 'But if you could have anything else, what would you want?'

Maddie bit her lip, not sure if she was ready or not to reveal what had been on her mind the past few weeks.

'What about a new saddle for your horse?' She suggested to help her out.

She shook her head. 'That'd be nice but if I could have anything I wanted, I'd really like for Cordell to adopt me.' 

If Abeline was surprised, she didn't show it.

'Then I could be part of a real family, you know.' Maddie continued. 'Not just custody until I'm eighteen but really part of your family. I would get to call you Grandma then, if you'd let me.'