Chapter 1

'Oh come on,' Maddie teased with a smile, looking down at Cordell as she rode past him at a canter on a chestnut gelding. 'don't tell me that's all you've got.'

'You-you are getting too cheeky... young miss.' He replied while shaking a finger at her, not slowing down. 'Besides... you're on a horse!'

'Yeah, I ain't silly.' She chuckled.

Copper sped up at a touch of her heels, the teen cantering him on ahead as Cordell, Liam and Trey raced on foot up the path. Being on a horse gave her a great advantage and it wasn't long before they reached the post where Cordell had left one of his hats. Copper tossed his head as she stopped him, turning the gelding back to watch the rest of the race.

Cordell was way out in front by a mile, Liam and Trey both trying to hamper the other so they could get ahead. She chuckled watching them all race, Cordell shouting back at the pair of them. They'd been doing this 'boys bootcamp' thing for quite a few weeks now and since they had started, she had enjoyed coming along on the odd occasion to watch and tease them a little.

Seeing Cordell approaching the 'finish line', she slid off the chestnut and replaced her helmet with his hat. 'I think this suits me, don't you think?'

'Give me that...Blooming rascal.' He laughed as he took the hat from her and playfully hit her over the head with it before passing it back to Trey, Maddie giggling loudly. 'Who got it?' He questioned as Liam joined them. 'Who got it?'

'You got lucky.' Trey replied while he caught his breath again. 'But a... a hat shouldn't be for... for second place. It should be for first, right?'

'In that case then,' With a flourish Maddie took the hat from him and put it on her own head. 'shouldn't I get this? I think it looks pretty good on me.'

'Maddie...' She laughed again as Cordell took it once more and handed it back to Trey. 'Second mouse gets the cheese right? Plus, I got plenty of hats. I'm here for the show.' He turned to his brother. 'Alright stinker, drinks on you.'

'Hey, only three months in, and we already cut our time in half boys.' Trey said after checking his watch.

'Keep it up, you might beat me and Copper in a couple years.' Maddie teased with a smile.

'You got to slow that pace for when Micki gets back.' Liam remarked.

'I'm always the one that had to keep up with her.'

Madde turned to him. 'How is Micki doing?'

'Have you spoken to her lately?' Cordell questioned.

'No. It's, uh, it's been a month.' Trey replied.

'I'm meeting up with James later. I'll see what I can find out.' He offered.

'Thanks man.'

'Yeah, of course.'

'Cordell-' Maddie interjected. 'Did you see the 'sold' sign over the hill down by that old barn? I noticed it while I was out working Copper earlier.'

'No. I wonder who the new neighbors are going to be.' He replied.

'Hopefully they'll be as nice as the Andersons.' She placed Copper's reins over his neck again, preparing to mount up. 'Who's up for a race back to the house?'

'As if any of us would stand a chance with you riding.' Liam said and she laughed as she sprung up onto the geldings bare back. 'Now running, yes, I'd love to see you do that.'

'You know I prefer someone else's legs doing all the work.' She ran a hand down the geldings neck. 'Cordell, I was hoping maybe you'd ride back with me. I was hoping I might be able to speak with you.'