-Sniff-

I didn't take much with me, I needed to travel far towards that school

I held my bat tightly, walking over the bridge, the gun in still the same place, no one ever passed it by, tho this time looking around I found two police cuffs and a key so I took them.

I walked towards the soccer stadium, thinking.

"Just what infects?" I asked myself, hearing a husk, smashing in the skull with all my strength. "Tell me." I sighed, crouching down and pulling out a little jar with a lid.

I pulled my knife out, I should find a knife with a sheath or I will cut myself again.

I took a deep breath as I pulled plastic gloves on and my mask over my nose as it was pushed down under my chin, I am NOT risking it.

I hesitated before sighing and cutting a piece of flesh off its nose, I made a yikes sound as blood sprayed out on my gloves and on the ground.

I don't have cotton swabs here so I used the corner of my shirt before slicing it off and putting it in the jar too and let blood drip in it.

I thought about taking an eye but it made me queasy as it stared back at me.

"Tho this one is not blind, the more human version of the husk, nimble and human..." I said, yet again touching the skull like I did with the sword stabbed one, I cringed at bone pieces moved around. "The skull feels normal so that other ones was really strong." 

I felt the dead body, this was one of the husk with a seemingly tighter skin on its body, it if wasn't for that.... Only thing different in it and a human was that we were alive... One alive and one dead....

I looked into the eyes that once had life but would never, the white of it a bloodshot mess as if their blood pressure was through the roof.... I guess that's why it sprayed when I cut into it's flesh.

"But the stronger one didn't spray... Yes well I never tried removing the sword from its skull to check and I don't know if the still more human looking ones can do that either." I sighed, if this is a virus it will want to spread.... If I find that the blood is contagious.... That could explain the blood pressure, I never needed to worry about it because I bash in skulls without splitting skin.

I stood back up, dropping the gloves on the corpse and leaving it there, I should find a way of disposing of a body, might attract animals in some way.

I was walking passed the huge soccer stadium, wishing I had not said no to my classmates to go see the match.

"I will never hear original songs, watch not already filmed movies, read not already written books.... The Great Silence... I think I'll call this that.... The Great Silence.... Apocalypse is too fictional... It feels fiction to me... This is real.... It needs to feel real."

I looked between the houses and could see the big school not far.

It always felt so eerie... To be in a place that I've always known filled with life, with people, with noise.... And now it was empty and silent.

I took another sigh when I saw husks stepping out of an alley way, these are the more human kind.

I swung at their skulls, the husks reaching for me and mouth open, welts and bumps on the inside of them when I kneeled down to observe, from one small one to many big ones keeping the mouth propped open, I poked a few with my knife, form soft to bone hard for some of them.

I stopped moving when something stumbled into the alley, seen from the corner of my eyes.

I looked up slowly.

"You gotta be shitting me!" I said but this yet another way looking husk didn't react.

It looked different from the other newer one I discovered.

It's legs... like the tibia gained twice-three times its usual length, making it seem as it if was on stilts, the torso and arms were the same and it had a slightly thicker neck holding up the head with a jaw the looked dislocated and not purposefully mutated that way.

I slowly stood up, it was almost like a large flap of skin was tightly pulled over the top of its head, like those plastic swimming caps but made of its own skin, it was so thin it I could see darker spots where the covered eyes were at.

As it turned its head I could see something was in the ears, they were bloody chunks of munched meat with something puss white dripping and drying into them.

I stood up completely... It didn't seem to hear me.

It then took a sniff of the air.