-Cable Management-

(Just so you know, not a must but I'll happily do it if you want, can share ideas you have for a character or an event you wanna see in the story. I like interacting with readers and them sharing ideas *Looks at Jasmine* as you can see. This offer is always available as long as the book isn't marked as completed.)

I flipped a coin in the air, watching it go up and down, up and down.

It was dated in 2003, still shiny and with a 5 on it.

I live in a town and yet there are these odd moments I am faced with our old life again, finding something that has no use anymore in such a world.

I still put the coin in my pocket and went back to my work.

I needed to protect the cables' ties, where the plastic was stripped and the metal wires were visible if I wanted that idea to connect on the long run, from the solar panels to our grid.

So I had cut a hole in the side of Tupperware boxed, pushed the cables through with the hole filled with the caulk gun and heavily tapped the boxes down or glued them in place.

I glued them down to the ground so it wouldn't move but getting it across the river was proving to be a challenge, I still know that once in the future it will collapse and block it, making the level rise but I can't have it hung across the water, needs supports and stuff so there was one thing left to do.

I glued the last box down, scratching my head.

I would need to pass a length of cord under water and weighed down so it wouldn't move, connecting it to the opposite side cable.

I literally can't do this alone.

I sighed and decided to call the others.

"--And that's what we'll do." I finished explaining, holding the length of cables as I tied the box down.

"That means two will need to climb in the freezing water." Lucy pointed it out. "Can this not be done later? I mean thanks for considering us and all but really?"

"With the solar panels, if the snow is cleaned off them when it comes and more batteries and such, could let us grab those mini heaters from shops for the winter, you can't believe how important would be." I said.

"I need to agree with her here Lucy, could do way more good in the long run and this is the last piece left." Adar said.

"Jass you'll stay on shore that's for certain, got it?"

"Right right." She sighed at my words.

"You'll stand on the length coming out of the box, the cable will be want pulled by the weight of the current and we can't have it rip everything up."

"Someone will need to hold the other side of it too." She said. "And we we need two in the water..."

"One will need to climb out to get the stone slab weights and one will need to stand there to hold the cable back, nothing in this is easy." I added.

"You can lift those slabs while I doubt I can do more then struggle and I think Adar should be on the other shore, that side will need to be held since we couldn't tie it down like this." Lucy said to me.

"So it's you and me. After we are done here, I'll tie the ends together but will try connecting to the panels another day as unless we wanna be sick we'll need to change out and get inside."

"Deal, lets do this."

I pushed the slabs of stone down the side of the riverbank to save strength, climbing down it and lifting it up after I pushed it to the edge and got back in the water, it dropped from the usual mid thigh height to slightly above the knee since I guess the source of it was already freezing.

The water was really cold already, I didn't feel my feet, trying to move them in my ankle boots tho it didn't help much, numb with pain.

I carried the slab over to Lucy and with some difficulty lowered it down in the water as she pulled on the cable to pull it taut against the river current and let it fall.

I shook my hands out, opening and closing them, they needed to be dipped in the water because believe it or not, you drop a stone in the water and it won't sink straight down, much less if it is a flat piece.

Jasmine long stopped holding the wire, the first slab on that side holding it, all she could do was watch, not strong enough to lift to slabs to help out.

To she had an idea I didn't, by stealing yet another shopping cart (They like have four? One for each lol.) and pulled it back with several articles of clothes in it.

We'll need to do that too, I see more and more clothes with holes in them from bugs, we need to gather more clothes and store them away like we did the wheat, we need to preserve our resources no matter how mundane they are, hell I am even thinking of moving the rotten box of mushrooms because being where they are might kill them off, those I left in that store would probably live but this one is out in the elements.... Arg! Dammit! We'll need to move the wheat too because they are stored outside our protective walls now.

I kept this up until we were done finally, I sat on the shore as I tied the cables together before tapping them together to be sure they would work, finishing by finally having the box taped shut and glued in place, fucking finally.

"Look away." I warned them, having already discarded my hoodie before and now pulling my T-shirt off to grab new clothes.

This is done now, lets see if I can get power later.