Chapter (40): Moonless Night

Start from the beginning

"Do you wanna get out of here?" asked Wren. "I don't feel like working anymore, I can finish it tomorrow since I already did half of it with Eleanor. I just want to spend some time with you." She mumbled against her bare shoulder. "I swear you're a bad influence to me sometimes." She joked, biting her shoulder lightly.

"Where do you wanna go?"

"Well, um..." She glanced at her watch. "Since it's already 4:00, we can go grab something to eat and maybe after that we could hang out in the park. What do you say?"

She revealed her megawatt smile and nodded slowly. "Good idea."

She got off her lap and grabbed Wren's jacket from the coat stand while Wren organized the folders and took her phone, shoved it in her pocket and grinned when she saw Madeline standing behind her with her jacket.

"Aw, thanks." She pecked her lips and Madeline looped an arm around hers as they walked outside the office together.

Once they were out of the office, both Emily and Georgina turned their eyes from their work to them, Emily smiled genuinely while Georgina plastered a smile.

Every time her blue eyes fall on the matching rings they're wearing, she feels like she's being torn apart, and the way Wren looks at Madeline makes her stomach turn. She wishes if she was Madeline, she wishes if Wren was hers, she wishes if she never did the one mistake that pushed Wren away from her.

"Georgina," said Wren, grabbing her attention. "You can finish your work and go home. I'm already leaving. If you want to finish your work tomorrow that's fine by me."

She nodded as they made their steps to the elevator, calling it then left from everyone's sight.

....................................................

Around sometime in the night, they were walking together in the park, holding hands with interlaced fingers. The park was dark and quiet at this hour, the only thing that made it bright was the street lamps on the sidewalk as the night was moonless.

"What was your first girlfriend like? Give me like full description of her." said Madeline.

They were playing 20 questions during their walk and Wren asked her a few questions about her previous love lives and now it was Wren's turn.

"Her name was Hailey. She was cute and supportive of me when I lost my mom and, uh, her family was closed minded, so we were sneaking behind their backs. She was my prom date and the first girl to... you know." She tilted her head to the side.

"I get you."

"Anyway, one night after the prom, her parents took her away from me and went to Australia hoping that the long distance will make her forget about me and I think it did. It broke my heart for a while but I'm relieved that neither of us were in love with each other. I was her first crush and girlfriend and so was she. I still have her picture in my house for the old times sake."

Madeline frowned and rubbed her arm. "Oh sorry about that. It must have been hard."

"Nah, it's fine. I just hope she's fine with them now. Coming out isn't easy. Never was to anyone." She shrugged and smiled a little at Madeline.

"Tell me about it. Can I ask another question?"

"It's my turn." said Wren chuckling.

"Okay go for it."

"How did you meet Eva? You two are so different and yet the same. It's kind of creepy."

Madeline laughed lightly. "Yeah, I know that. Her personality is different from mine. She's all about fun and late nights while I'm just the girl who stays in her room reading a book or studying hard for her exams, but that doesn't mean I don't party. I do party." She linked an arm around hers and leaned her head on her shoulder while walking. "We meet when I was in the middle school, she was my first friend, best friend. We practically did everything like we were sisters and my family loved her, so she sometimes spent her nights at my house and same from me at her house. Then we meet Paul in high school and she had a huge crush on him, so I think at that time I did push them to be together."