west side story (2021) ~ not a forever thing ~ tony/anybodys

A/N : Takes place pre canon. Anybodys and Tony definitely had a thing at one point, and you cannot convince me otherwise. Tw for period typical transphobia/a general lack of understanding of trans people

"What do you want, Anybodys?"

This... Person always showed up at the drug store, wanting his attention. He supposed it wasn't really a bad thing considering that she- he? He seemed like a genuinely nice human being, but it still kind of weirded him out. What did he want with him?

"I just thought I'd come check up on ya, Tony" Anybodys replied with a small smile. "Ya know I like you- I haven't exactly been subtle about that" he continued as Tony let him into the drug store with a cautious expression. It was true. Tony saw the way that Anybodys looked at him. He knew what that look meant. Riff used to give him the same look all the time, and a lot of the white ladies around town did as well. "Besides, you're my friend"

"Anybodys, I don't want any trouble" Tony told him. "You know how the Jets are. If they found out I was cohortin' with a... You, then I might lose whatever respect they have left for me"

Anybodys frowned. The Jets were... An interesting case. He always longed for the sort of family that they provided, but they always pushed him aside whenever he got too close. To them, he was a girl. And girls weren't in the Jets, no sir. It was a group of unruly boys, not chicks.

"I thought ya were done with the Jets" the boy said quietly after a moment, his face a bit solemn. "I am" Tony replied as he went around, beginning to stock shelves. "But Riff is still important to me, you know?" he asked. "I care about you, Anybodys. I really do. But Riff has been there since the beginning. 'Womb to tomb, sperm to worm' and all that"

"What harm am I doin' to ya two's relationship just by bein' here, huh?" Anybodys challenged. "Ain't nobody ever said ya can't have a friend, right?"

"But it's not just a friend thing, is it?" Tony replied, stepping closer to him. For one terrifying moment, Anybodys thought that he was about to be hit or something. It wouldn't exactly be the first time. He'd been hit before by people he'd tried to make any advances on. No girl (or boy) wanted to be caught having relations with someone like him. But, no. This was Tony. He was better than that.

"I like ya, Tony" Anybodys told him again, not backing away though all the alarms in his head told him to. "Riff ain't gotta know about that"

"I like you too, Anybodys" Tony replied softly. "Not as a forever thing by any means, but I do like you" he continued, and couldn't help but smile as he saw a small grin come to the other boy's face. "I don't really understand you or what you're deal is, but I do like you... I just don't want Riff or anyone to lose respect for me"

"Riff ain't gotta know about how ya feel, Tony" Anybodys told him. Tony just sighed and hugged the shorter man, who didn't know how to react to the sudden embrace.

"I'm not the one for you, Anybodys" Tony told him quietly. He just nodded in response, unsure of what to say. "I'm not" Tony repeated. "I like you, I really do, but you deserve someone who understands a bit better. Someone who isn't afraid to he seen with you. You're a friend, Anybodys. I don't wanna ruin that cause I couldn't restrain myself"

"I'm your friend too, Tony" Anybodys replied, pulling back from the hug. He leaned forward and kissed Tony, taking a sort of leap of faith in that moment. Tony allowed it for a few seconds before pushing himself away. "And I'm always gonna be here for ya, even if ya don't want me to. What was that saying you and Riff had again?"

"'Womb to tomb, sperm to worm'?"

"Yeah" Anybodys nodded. "'Womb to tomb, sperm to worm', Tony" he told the taller guy as he walked back to the door of the drug store. "Riff ain't gotta know about this. Ain't none of the Jets gotta know. I won't tell em. Just promise me you'll be careful with yourself, Tony?"

"I will" Tony replied with a small nod. "And you'd better be as well"

"I always am"