percy jackson ~ rsd (hurt/comfort) ~ percy & thalia

A/N : Takes place in book 3 during chapter 5 after the hunters leave to cabin eight

Percy was showing Nico around the camp, but his touring was essentially reduced to him making sure the younger demigod didn't get himself killed. Nico was far more interested in exploring the camp himself rather than Percy dumbing it down for him, and Percy understood that. Not everyone liked that way of learning new things.

So, he fell behind to talk with Thalia, allowing Nico some space. Sure, he would still occasionally get a question from the curious boy, but most of his attention was focused on trying to talk with Thalia.

He felt a bit awkward trying to approach the older girl (if she could technically be considered older than him). She was definitely very guarded and she lashed out quite a bit. A ripple of pain still ripped through Percy's heart when he remembered what she'd said back at the cliff. "Oh, you're with me?" she had said. "If we'd stuck together, we could've taken him without the Hunters getting involved. Annabeth might still be here. Did you think of that!?"

"Hey" the young demigod said awkwardly after walking alongside her for awhile. "Yeah? What do you want?" Thalia asked, slightly irritable and not looking at him. Anyone could tell she wasn't really in a fun mood, but Percy pressed on. "Back with Apollo" he started. "You seemed really freaked out when you were trying to drive his sun chariot. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine" Thalia responded halfheartedly, still not making eye contact with him. "Hey" Percy suddenly said in a tone more stern than the older demigod had ever heard from him, which forced her to finally look his way. He seemed angry, but it was a false anger. His eyes just seemed... Sad.

"What did I do to make you hate me so much?" Percy asked after a moment, desperation lacing his voice. "Genuinely, I want to know" he continued before Thalia could respond. "So far as I'm aware, I have been nothing but kind to you, cause you're cool and I wanna be your friend. And normally, you aren't this bad, but ever since..." he stopped, feeling the strength being sapped from his mind and replaced with melancholy. "Ever since Annabeth fell off the cliff, you've just seemed to hate me"

"I don't hate you, Percy!" Thalia said, slightly exasperated, as though Percy was being ridiculous. Nico didn't seem to notice what was happening between the two. "But, yeah, I'm pretty pissed you went after that guy without us" she continued, gesturing wildly. "Annabeth might still be here if it wasn't for-"

"OKAY, STOP!"

Nico turned around to see what the yelling was about. Percy was red in the face, and the young demigod swore he could see tears in his eyes. Thalia looked shocked, and maybe even a little guilty. "Please..." Percy said in a weak, broken voice. "Just... Stop. I get it. You don't need to remind me I fucked up... I was just- I..."

Thalia felt guilt rip through her as she looked at the younger demigod. Even if he didn't struggle with RSD, he'd probably still be upset, and that was particularly what stuck out to her. She had seriously fucked up, putting all the blame on him. He was just a kid like her. He'd never wanted to hurt anybody.

She silently pulled him into a hug, allowing him to cry. No apologies were said, but at least there was an understanding between the two now. They'd likely be at each other's throats again in due time, but right now, Percy just needed a peaceful moment.

Nico watched on silently. He wanted to ask about an activity they were passing by, but decided it could wait.

"It's okay" Thalia said to Percy, who soon broke out of her hug, wiping the last few tears off his face. Now that he had cried, that strong emotion was replaced by numbness as he stood up and turned to Nico. "Sorry for the disruption to your tour" he said, forcing a smile for the young boy. "Let's continue"