percy jackson ~ grief (hurt/comfort) ~ thalia & zoë

A/N : Takes in book 3 place during chapter 14 while they were in the front of the truck together

Thalia kept her eyes on the road, desperately trying to ignore the events of what happened. Despite knowing Bianca for a short amount of time, she'd gotten along well with her and was saddened for her to suddenly be gone. Zoë was crying in the passenger seat, unable to hide how broken she was over the loss of the new Hunter.

What was the point of immortality if it couldn't 100% save one from tragedy?

"If we keep up on this road for long enough, we might find somewhere helpful" Thalia muttered, trying to distract the crying girl next to her. "Where is somewhere?" Zoë asked, sounding irritable, though that wasn't really a change from how she normally was. Only this time, she sounded more frustrated at the situation rather than the perceived incompetence of the mortal sitting next to her.

"I don't know, Zoë" Thalia gritted her teeth, trying to make sure she didn't drift off the road. Sure, it was far less stressful than driving Apollo's bus because the car wasn't flying or super hot, but she still didn't properly know how to drive a car, so it was still nerve-racking. "I just..." she exhaled sharply. "We need to get far away so those skeleton fuckers can't catch up to us"

"I can't believe she's gone" Zoë said quietly, her voice impossibly fragile. Thalia briefly shot her a sympathetic look before risking taking a hand off the wheel to shakily offer it to the Hunter. Zoë held onto her hand and squeezed it, nearly crushing it as she did so. Thalia had to bite back a flinch as she felt that.

"You really cared about her" Thalia said sympathetically, shooting a glance back to where Percy and Grover were to make sure they hadn't fallen off (she was definitely going way over whatever the speed limit was... If there even was one) and then returning her eyes to the road. Zoë sniffed, trying to regain some composure after her huge display of emotion, but still holding onto the mortal's hand.

"She was a Hunter" Zoë replied, her voice cracking as if to make it abundantly clear how much she had been crying. "We are like sisters to one another" she explained. "How would you feel if you lost thy sister?"

"I basically did"

Silence followed that statement until Zoë quietly asked "Annabeth?" and got a small nod in response. "We'll find her" Zoë reassured. Thalia just scoffed. "At this rate, we'll probably all be dead by the time we get there and so will she"

"Don't talk like that!"

Thalia chuckled and then went silent, just looking out at the road in front of her and forcing back tears. She was not going to cry. Not in front of Percy. Or Grover. Or Zoë. Or anyone. She was fine. She was in control. She just had to get them to safety.

Zoë softly squeezed her hand... Thalia squeezed back.