percy jackson ~ percy the coward (hurt/comfort) ~ percy/annabeth

A/N : Takes place in book 5, between chapters 3 and 4

As Percy began to walk back to Poseidon's cabin, he heard a set of footsteps following behind him. He knew who it was, of course. After so long with people, you begin to memorize what their footsteps sound like, especially since a lot of the people at Camp Half-Blood had hooves. He didn't need to turn to know it was Annabeth, but he still did. Maybe he just liked looking at her, maybe he wanted to read her expression to know what kind of conversation was about to happen. Maybe it was a mixture of both.

"Hey, Annabeth" he said quietly, walking backwards as he talked to her, just hoping he didn't trip over anything and make a fool of himself. "Did you need something?" he asked, silently thanking her as she caught up to him so he could face forward once again.

"I wanted to check on you because that was a lot" she told him, a genuine expression on her face. He didn't realize how much that meant to him until he saw it- She usually had some sort of sarcastic or judgmental expression on- But it did. It really did. He needed her kindness at that moment since he already felt incredibly vulnerable. What, with the whole Hey kid, you're probably gonna die! thing. "Are you okay?"

"I'm alright" Percy replied with a crooked smile, but Annabeth didn't seem convinced. She just had to narrow her eyes for him to crack. "Okay, no..." he caved, ignoring the triumphant expression that crossed the blonde's features. "I'm not alright. I'm actually quite scared. But... It's fine, you know? I'm fine. Everything's fine. I just gotta deal with it. Or ignore it completely. I mean, they need Percy the hero right now. Not Percy the coward"

"I don't think you're a coward" Annabeth told him gently, taking one of his hands in her own. He looked at her and, though he didn't seem to actually believe her, he still appreciated the sentiment. "Anyone would be scared in your position" she continued, slowly walking him to his cabin. "In fact, I am scared for you. I don't want to lose you, Percy. And I know you don't want to die"

"What other choice do I have!?" Percy asked, snapping a bit more than he intended. Guilt filled his stomach as he saw Annabeth flinch slightly at the sudden rise in volume. "I'm sorry" he apologized immediately. "I'm not mad at you, I'm just..." A sigh. "I'm mad at the situation, and I'm really really freaked out"

"It's okay" Annabeth assured him, carefully wrapping her arms around him, allowing him to cling onto her. Physical touch often seemed to ease his anxieties, assuming it wasn't because of Gabe memories. Within a few seconds, she felt him calm down slightly, though he was still clearly freaked out. "It'll be okay" she continued. "We'll figure it out together. You won't die"

"Is that a promise?"

"...It's a hope"