promare ~ dysphoria (hurt/comfort) ~ galo/lio ✨

A/N : Some GaloLio content because I somehow haven't written any yet. FTM!Lio because I said so

Lio's life had become much more peaceful once he joined Burning Rescue.

Sure, his previous community of the Mad Burnish had lost touch with him once the promare left (the only people from there that he still kept in contact with were Gueira and Meis), but now he had a new community with the firefighters, and it was really nice! He got all the time in the world to hang out with Galo, the firefighting itself was kind of fun, and they got pizza every weekend. The only issue was...

Well, he wasn't out to any of them, including Galo.

He had been pretty open with the Mad Burnish about his transness, but that was different. They were already an oppressed and misunderstood group, so they were very accepting of things like that. He didn't even think that the Burning Rescue would be against it or anything (Remi was openly nonbinary and they all knew about Galo and the ex-Burnish's relationship), but he also felt very uncomfortable with the idea of openly saying "Oh, yeah. I have a feminine body"

This proved to be a mistake a few weeks in when he ended up wearing his binder for far too long.

He left work early that day (which was very out of character for him) and stayed in bed the rest of the day. The blue haired firefighter came home that night to find his boyfriend curled up in bed, facing the back wall, and wearing a baggy hoodie that Galo recognized as one of his own. He tried to talk to the man, but he seemed to be asleep, so he instead just went to sleep next to him.

-----------

The next morning was peaceful (Ignis stayed in the office in case something came up, but everyone else had the day off), but Galo still woke up bright and early in the morning.

He looked over at the curled up man next to him and frowned. Something was clearly wrong, but he had no idea what it could be.

"Lio, are you up?" he asked cautiously. For a moment, Lio didn't respond, leaving Galo to assume that he was still asleep. But, after a few quiet seconds, he heard a tired and muffled "Yeah?" that just made him more worried.

"Are you okay?" Galo asked cautiously. "You came home really early yesterday and you seem kinda depressed"

Lio sighed and forced himself up into a sitting position, still curled up underneath the blanket. "I have something I need to tell you that I probably should have told you earlier" he started, avoiding his boyfriend's gaze. "Just... Promise to not completely freak out on me?"

He sounded so nervous, which Galo hadn't really heard from him before. It took every ounce of his willpower to not reach over and hug the shorter man. He instead just nodded with a small "Yeah, okay"

"I'm..." Lio trailed off, taking a deep breath. Galo waited patiently.

"I'm trans"

...

"Okay, and?" Galo asked as though he was still waiting for the bombshell. Lio seemed slightly relieved but still felt he should give a proper explanation for his behavior.

"Yesterday I wore my binder- It's a chest compression thing- For way too long, and it was starting to hurt a lot" he explained, to which Galo just nodded. "And I'm usually really on top of it" he continued. "But I just kinda forgot yesterday. So then I came home and took it off, and that made me really dysphoric and depressed, so I ended up staying in bed yesterday, and I still kinda fell like shit!" He sighed. "I'm really sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I should probably go..."

"No, stay"

Lio finally looked his boyfriend in the eyes, uncertainty evident in his expression.

"I do wish you had told me earlier so I could've helped" Galo started. "But I'm not angry with you, and I don't see you any differently because of this" Lio gave a relieved exhale at that, feeling his anxiety begin to melt away. "Can I wrap my arm around you?" the blue haired man asked gently. Lio nodded and leaned against him, nuzzling his shoulder slightly.

"You're like a little kitten!" Galo joked. Lio smirked and playfully elbowed him in the side. "Be nice" the shorter one scolded sarcastically. "Haven't I been through enough?"

"Awww" Galo complained. "But it's so funny when you get annoyed, especially now that you won't accidentally level a city over it" That earned him another elbow to the side.

"I love you, dumbass" Lio said, his voice low. Galo smiled. "I love you too, handsome" he replied, feeling a warmth in his chest when Lio smiled genuinely.

"I like you calling me that" the blonde muttered with a content expression. "What? 'Handsome'?" Galo asked, getting a small nod in response. "Makes me feel less shitty about my body being wrong"

"Well then, handsome" Galo replied. "I'll be sure to tell you that more often"