percy jackson ~ anxiety (hurt/comfort) ~ percy & sally

A/N : Takes place in between books 1 and 2. Also ngl it kinda hurts writing positive mother-son dynamics because uh... Let's just say I don't have that. I guess it's basically just wish fulfillment, writing that type of dynamic. And it makes me a little sad, but in a good way if that makes sense. Idk. Anyways, here ya go

It was Percy's second day back home.

Thankfully he got the weekend to settle in with his mom in her new place before school began, so he could just relax for the time being. Sally, bless her soul, had already gotten him everything he needed for the school year. He'd have to start his 7th grade year the next morning, but he let that worry drift to the back of his mind until then.

The unfortunate part of him finally being in a safe place where he was only presented with love and kindness was that he finally had the space to let all of the traumas from the summer sink in. All the awful shit he endured getting to Half Blood Hill, all of the bad things that happened on his quest, and Luke's attempted murder all weighed heavy on his mind.

On top of that, he was still kind of worried for his friends. No satyr had ever come back alive from looking for Pan, and while he liked to believe that Grover could do it, that didn't mean he wasn't worried. And... Annabeth? She was back with her neglectful father and abusive step mother. Percy also hoped that things would go over well with that but he couldn't be too sure.

"Well, dear" Sally said with a small smile as she walked into the living room with a plate of blue cookies. Percy's eyes lit up at the sight. As much as he was forced to grow up over the summer, the truth was that he was still just a 12 (almost 13) year old kid. He would never turn down cookies, especially considering how healthy all the food at Camp Half Blood was. He liked having something sweet instead.

"Tomorrow is your first day of school" she continued, sitting next to him on the couch and nibbling at a cookie. "You excited?"

"A bit nervous" Percy answered honestly, fidgeting a bit with his shirt. Sally gave a sympathetic breath as she soothingly ran her hand over his back. "So much happened this summer, and now I'm just expected to return to normal like nothing happened" he explained before letting out a sigh. "Luke was right" he stated flatly. "I mean, he's horrible but he was right"

"How can I help?" his mom asked gently, and for a moment, Percy was able to breath freely. She was always so understanding and loving with him, even when he wasn't a particularly easy child to raise. "I don't know, mom" Percy responded after a moment. "I'm just stressed. So much happened, and I don't know what to do now. I grieved your death"

"I know, son" she said gently. Truth was, she worried about him. Honestly, who could blame her? All these horrible things happened to her baby and she was in a state of unconsciousness in the fucking Underworld the entire time. Of course she was gonna worry about him. It'd be weird if she didn't.

"How about this..." she began, getting his attention as she attempted to cheer him up. "Tomorrow after school I make whatever you want for dinner, okay?" she offered, and Percy eagerly nodded. "No more meatloaf" he said with a relieved sigh, causing his mother to chuckle. Now that Gabe was gone, they didn't have to have meatloaf anymore.

"Yeah, Percy. No more meatloaf" she confirmed. Percy silently pulled her into a hug, which caught her off guard for a moment (Percy had never really been a touchy-feely kid), but she soon returned it and they stayed like that for a while. Percy was still stressed about... Well, everything. But, in that small moment, his worries temporarily vanished.

"I love you, mom" he said, sounding more childlike than he had in a while. "I love you too, son"