percy jackson ~ apology ~ percy/annabeth

A/N : Takes place in book 4, in between chapters 10 and 11

Everyone just narrowly escaped the Sphinx, and they were all shaking.

Tyson had already had a bad experience with one of those, so he was now dealing with the aftermath of having a terrible memory uprooted. Grover shakily rubbed the Cyclops' back in an attempt at comforting him, but he was also freaked out. Percy was coming off of an all too familiar adrenaline rush, and he couldn't help but feel a little bit annoyed at Annabeth for having provoked the Sphinx. However, when he looked over to find her also shaking, he found that he couldn't stay mad at her for long.

"That was bad" Percy decided aloud as Grover and Tyson tried to listen for the spider. "That was really bad" he repeated, running a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry!" Annabeth shouted, more frustrated at herself than anything. "I... Probably shouldn't have stopped her test prematurely. It just really bothered me that she was asking such stupid questions. The Sphinx's riddles are supposed to be challenging!"

"You got upset because a monster was giving you an easy out" Percy deadpanned, and he swore he saw her go slightly red with embarrassment. "Go figure"

"I'm sorry" she apologized again, fidgeting with her necklace to try and offset the anxiety she was still feeling. Percy sighed as he saw her do this- He'd been around her long enough to notice her little movements and what they meant. "It's fine" he replied, pushing aside his anger at the situation. "Let's just figure out where to go now since the spider's probably long gone anyways"

"I hate spiders..." Annabeth mumbled. Percy just gave her a pat on the shoulder before returning his attention to the others. "Well?"

Tyson pointed off to the direction of an apparent noise. "Eight legged bug creature is off that way"