encanto ~ tics (hurt/comfort) ~ bruno & camilo

A/N : Tourettic!Bruno and Tourettic!Camilo, the latter of which has coprolalia/copropraxia. Also, he/they pronouns are used here for Camilo. FTM!Bruno is brought up briefly. Also referenced ableism and transphobia. Basically I love these two and am projecting onto them.

Abuela had never been very understanding of the Madrigals' little quirks. She had definitely gotten better after everything with Mirabel, but everyone could still feel her disapproving gaze over every little thing- Like when Dolores got to overwhelmed by the noise around her or when Pepa fell into a bout of anxiety. It made them all feel a bit lesser-than, but they still had each other.

Bruno had Tourette's syndrome, which had been very hard for the old woman to stomach when he was younger. The Madrigals were supposed to be a perfect family, and yet he went around twitching wildly and blurting out random, unimportant phrases. As if his "gift" wasn't already something to be ashamed of. Or the fact that he insists on presenting as a boy despite his genetics...

When Camilo came along, Abuela just about had a heart attack. Not only did the kid also have Tourette's and also insist on carrying themself differently than how they were born, but their condition was also on the more extreme end of the pool, with them shouting obscenities and making inappropriate gestures with little to no control over such things. He was a lot like his uncle, and Abuela didn't like it.

When Camilo was younger and Bruno was still around, they found some solace in the guy. After all, he was the only other one who fully understood. Sure, a lot of the other Madrigals had varying degrees of tics, but those only seemed to bother them when stressed. The only exception to that was Luisa, but she only had motor tics anyways, which was far less disruptive than Camilo or Bruno's vocal ones.

Then Bruno had disappeared, leaving Camilo feeling more alone than anything when it came to his tics. They found themself hiding away in their room whenever it got too bad, and the only person who would ever check on them in those moments was their sister. "I heard you swearing through the walls, hermanx" she would speak quietly upon entering his room. "Is it getting worse?"

Bruno had his own troubles in his isolation. After all, he didn't want anyone to know he was in the walls, so whenever his vocal tics began to get particularly loud, he would have to put a pillow over his face to block the noise. Once again, the only person who could hear him was Dolores, but she never said anything. She didn't want to draw attention to the fact that he hadn't actually left until he was ready to do so.

Once Bruno had returned, him and Camilo once again found comfort in one another whenever their tics were worse than usual. Camilo didn't judge any of his uncle's more violent motor tics, and Bruno didn't judge any of the child's profanities. That much couldn't be said for the rest of the family- Not all of which actually judged them for it, but none of them fully understood.

----------

"Bad day, sobrinx?" Bruno asked Camilo as he entered his room in the walls. Though Bruno was now a part of the family again, he still found himself in his old staying place quite often. After all, something about it had managed to keep him somewhat sane even in years of isolation. And no one but Mirabel and Camilo knew exactly where it was anyways, so it often served as a nice escape from Abuela's constant nagging.

"I was- Mierda!- Lo siento, tío Bruno. I was doing dishes and I- Fuck!- Sorry. I accidentally threw a plate and it broke" the younger Madrigal explained, apologizing for all their little curses as they did so. Bruno frowned. "You don't have to- Salt!- apologize for your tics, Camilo" he assured him, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. "And, I thought Casita stopped things from breaking?"

"It just- Dirty little whore!- I think I was too- BRUNO!- Fast for it" they explained, running a hand through their hair as they involuntarily shifted a few times before returning to their normal form. "Well, it's just a plate, right?" Bruno asked as he sat down, offering Camilo a space next to him on the small sofa as his neck jerked a few times. "Not that- Sugar!- Hard to clean up"

Camilo flipped him off, then quickly shook his head apologetically. Bruno didn't deem to mind. "It wasn't" the younger Madrigal agreed quietly after a moment, his head jerking slightly to the right. "It- Mierda!- Wasn't hard to clean up. It wasn't" they continued. "I don't know, I guess- Popcorn!- I guess I'm mainly just upset because my stupid problem is what caused it to break"

"It's not stupid, sobrinx" Bruno told them softly, placing a hand on their back as they ticced a few times. "I've broken- Sugar! Salt!- A few plates in my time, and believe me when I tell you that it- Knock on wood!- It is not the end of the world" he assured them. "And it doesn't make you any less lovable"

"You mean it, tío?" Camilo asked, looking up at his uncle and feeling his worries and guilt slowly fade away- The way they did whenever him and Bruno sat down like this. "Yes, Camilo" Bruno agreed. "I- Salt!- I mean it. It's just a plate. We all love you just the same"

"I love- Mierda!- you too, tío Bruno"