percy jackson ~ guilt (hurt/comfort) ~ percy & grover

A/N : Takes place in book 4 during chapter 10 when they all spend the night at Eurytion's place

Percy laid on one of the couches, his mind not allowing him to go to sleep quite yet. He worried it was keeping up Grover as well due to their empathy link, but there wasn't really much he could do about it.

"You okay, bud?" Grover asked him from the other couch, loud enough to where he could hear but quiet enough as to not disrupt anyone else's sleep. Percy sighed, as he knew that he had no hope in lying to the satyr. Even if they didn't have an empathy link, satyrs could still sense other people's emotions pretty well. And Percy reeked of guilt.

"Seeing Bianca again was just... A lot" Percy admitted quietly. Grover nodded, though Percy was unable to see that gesture. "What happened to her, Percy" the satyr started cautiously. "It wasn't your fault. She made her choice even despite your protests. That's not on you"

"Nico doesn't seem to feel that way" Percy replied, feeling the guilt in his stomach become a little bit heavier. "I made him a promise, Grover" he continued as Grover listened patiently. "I promised him I would keep his sister safe and then I failed to do that"

"Even she doesn't blame you, buddy" Grover assured the demigod. "Nico is just upset over the loss and is directing it at you because you're the easiest to blame- Even though it wasn't your fault" he explained. "You didn't do anything wrong"

"I could've done better though" Percy replied with a small sigh. Grover took a deep breath and then focused in on the empathy link, trying to communicate his own exhaustion to the demigod. "Are you trying to get me to sleep, Grover?" Percy asked with a small chuckle as he felt tiredness overtake him.

"Yes" Grover replied. "You need the sleep"

"...Fair enough"