what should've happened

"Ma'am is this the home of derek shepherd?" The officer asked. "Yes.. I'm his wife" I say. "We need you to come with us.. there's been an accident" he says. My heart almost stops. I freeze. "Ma'am?" He says. "What? What happened?" I ask. "You need to come with us" he says. "I can't- my kids are asleep" I breathe. "Bring them with you" the other officer says. "Can you tell me if hes okay?" I ask. "I'm sorry, we dont know anything yet until we get to the hospital" he says. "Okay" I say. I'm going to stay calm until I find out what condition hes in. I walk into the bedroom and get the kids, their stuff and walk back into the living room. "I can take that" one of the men say, taking the pram. "Sorry can you-" I pass the other guy bailey. "Sure" he takes him. I put on my coat and shoes. I take bailey back. Zola follows them as they walk to the car.

Once they get to the hospital, they put bailey in his pram and she holds zolas hand as they walk up to the floor he's on. Someone takes my kids, watching them as a nurse shows me to Derek's room. I walk into the room and he has a white bandage around his head, hes wearing a hospital gown and has an iv in his hand. I rush over to his side. He has his eyes closed. The surgeon told me what happened but his chart was at the end of his bed. I grab his chart, walking over to the chair next to his side and sitting down. I start reading the chart.

"Wow I think I'm having a dream that a really hot doctor came to my room to check me out" derek says in a groggy voice. My head snaps up from the chart. I look at him. I stand up, putting the chart on the chair and moving closer to him. "Don't joke.. you really scared me" I say. "Sorry" he says. "Are you okay? Are you in pain? Does anything hurt?" I ask. He smiles at me. "What?" I ask. "You're so gorgeous" he says. "Oh my god.. they messed up your brain surgery didnt they?" I joke. He chuckles. "You'll be transferred to grey sloan as soon as possible okay?" I say. I lean down to his face. "This hospitals crap.. I'm surprised they didnt kill you" I whisper. He chuckles. "Mmm" he groans. "What? What's wrong?" I ask concerned. "Nothing I'm fine" he says. "Baby tell me what hurts" I say seriously. "I just have a bit of a headache.. I'm fine" he says. "I'm getting a nurse- ugh theres no point.. they're all crap. I'll do it myself" I walk over to one of the trays with the morphine. "How much have you had already?" I ask. "Honey I don't need-" he says before I interrupt him. "Derek" I warn him. "Fine" he sighs.

I put more morphine into his iv. "Do you need anything else?" I ask. "A hug" he says. I smile. I walk over to the window, closing the blinds before walking back over to him. He opens his arms. I lay down, moving into his embrace. "I didnt mean to scare you" he whispers, stroking my cheek with his thumb. "Dont ever do it again" I turn to him. Tears form in my eyes. "I'm sorry mer" he kisses me on the cheek. Tears roll down my cheeks. "I thought I was gonna lose you" I start crying. "You didn't.. you wont.. ever" he says. "Promise?" I say. "I promise.. this is forever" he says. I kiss him passionately. "I love you so much" I breathe against his lips before kissing him again. "I love you too" he kisses me back. I stroke his face gently with my hand, looking at him. "Where are the kids?" He asks. "Want me to get them? I think they're just down the hallway. Someones watching them" I say. "Yeah I wanna see them" he smiles. "Okay" I get up "dont pull anything stupid when I'm gone" I kiss him. "Okay" he chuckles. I go and get the kids. When I get back to the room, zola runs over to him. "Careful honey.. you're daddy's hurt" I say. I get bailey out of his pram, walking over to him with bailey on my hip. I put him onto the bed. I pick up Zola, putting her next to derek. "Hi zozo" he hugs her. "Hi daddy.. are you okay?" She asks. "Yes sweetie I'm fine" he says. "Careful though please" I say. Bailey crawls his way up the bed to derek. "Dada" he says. "Hey bails" derek rests himself on his forearm, looking at the kids. "I'm gonna ring the hospital.. see when you can get transferred" I say. I'm about to walk away when derek grabs my hand. "No.. lay with us" he entwines our fingers. I move closer to him. "But-" I stop. He gives me the look. Our look. I sigh. He smiles at me. I smile back. "Lay with us mommy" zola says. I lay down in bed next to him, our kids inbetween us. I rest my head on my hand, looking at him. "Der.." I say. "Mmm" he looks me in the eyes. "The other day when we discussed.. that thing.." I look down at the kids. He nods curiously. "I did a test today.." I say "we're gonna have more" I say. "You're.." he smiles. I look down at the kids. "Yeah" I say. I lean over. I kiss him softly. "We're gonna have another baby" he whispers, loud enough for only me to hear. "We're gonna have another baby" i whisper back. I kiss him again.

973 words