2.8

-HER-

I knew that man followed me to my room but after that, I didn't see him. My heart was still pounding in my chest as I locked the door of my room and stripped. Pax was sitting on my bed and watching me.

"I don't know what's happening to me, Pax," I sobbed to my snow leopard even though I doubted that he understood anything I said. "I think I am going insane, Pax... I want to go home," I sobbed as I got into the bed, crying.

Pax licked me with his rough tongue before curling up against me. I held him and cried myself to sleep. I didn't quite sleep that night. Instead, I kept drifting in and out of sleep which was filled with all these strange dreams.

When I woke up the next morning, Lyra was already in my room with a lot of clothes for me. She showed me each dress one by one while I sat in the bed, thinking about the incident that took place between Ezekiel and I last night and also about the man.

I was still feeling exactly like last night. Though this morning I was grumpier. I didn't care as Lyra showed me dress after dress. I was just feeling like a mess.

"Hurry up now. Wear this today and come downstairs. I have a lot to do with you today," Lyra said throwing a dress at me, snapping me out of my daze.

"What?" I asked feeling more lost than ever.

"Get dressed and come downstairs. We need to get to work," She repeated.

"Work? What work?"

"Why? Did you think that you'd be forever a guest here? You need to work. Everyone here needs to do some work for this place to keep running and out of everyone your work is important because you'd be soon running the harem,"

"No, I won't!" I protested but Lyra didn't seem like she was going to have anything from me. She kept on going, "After you have completed the mating process with the king you would be burdened with a lot of duties and if he decides to crown you the queen then your duties would double! That would be a lot of work, Celeste. Celeste, are you even listening to me?"

"I don't want to do anything with him, Lyra," I told her, "and I would be soon returning to Zaeris,"

Lyra crossed her arms on her chest and shook her head, "We don't have the time to daydream, Celeste. Now, get dressed soon and come downstairs. It's better than sulking in your room all day and the sooner you learn the ropes, the better it would be for you," With that, Lyra was gone.

I was so tempted to punch a hole in the wall but instead, I had to drag myself out of bed and wear the dress that Lyra had given me because I knew that if I didn't wear the dress and go downstairs then Lyra would send her women to get me dressed. I didn't feel like being manhandled the first thing in the morning so I put on the dress and went downstairs.

Lyra was already waiting there for me with some of the women and a eunuch.

"Ah, you look so beautiful!" Lyra commented as soon as she saw me, "Now, it's time to get to work," she added before talking me somewhere I didn't know.

The rest of the day was spent from going one place to another as Lyra showed me some parts of the harem which I hadn't seen before and along with that, she explained to me how things functioned there and the different ranks and groups the residents of the harem were divided into and other things which I soon forgot.

"I am very much positive this time that we will have a representation at the court," Lyra told me as we were finishing up the tour. I was tired and feeling emotionally drained. To be honest, I remembered nothing. Everything passed away in a blur.

"Huh?"

"We will finally have a Queen after all this time. Do you realize how important that is for us and how it would change our lives?" Lyra asked.

"I don't get it," I told her honestly, feeling dizzy as she walked me through a corridor. All those women were gone. It was only her, a eunuch who was walking behind us and I. While Lyra was saying all this to me, my eyes were busy searching our surroundings to find that man.

It was odd. I hadn't seen him since last night. Was it a strange dream of some kind? Or was my mind playing tricks with me? I shook my head. I should stop thinking about that man if I wished to keep my sanity.

"Having a Queen at the court will improve the lives of the women living outside the harem. It's a dangerous place for women to live,"

"I could tell," I muttered.

"But if you become the Queen, you could change that!" Lyra told me. I knew that she was doing this to lure me into her trap but I wasn't going to fall for this.

"I am feeling very tired today. Can I go back to my room now?" I asked her when we finally reached the dorms.

"Sure, we did a lot today. You could go now but be ready tomorrow earlier. We need to learn more things tomorrow," Lyra spoke behind me as I walked away. I just wanted to get to my room somehow and collapse on my bed and pass out and never wake up again. I was already done with this but oh, people around here really knew how to test my patience. Especially, the King.

As soon as I opened the door to my bedroom, my eyes locked with a familiar pair of dark brown, regal eyes whose owner was sitting on a chair, waiting for me. I straightened up and glared at him.

Pax had been muzzled and tied to my bedpost. He was sitting there growling and glaring at Ezekiel. I didn't miss the huge bite marks on Ezekiel's arm which would take at least a couple of days to heal. Apart from that, there were some claw marks on his face and neck.

Seemed like the two of them were taking their time to know each other.

"Get out," I spat at him.

"I am here to talk," He told me, getting up and as he did that, my eyes focused behind him at the chest of drawers. That man was sitting on the chest of drawers and not only that, there was another man with him this time. The latter looked older and had white hair. He was leaning by the chest of drawers.

The two of them were watching me and Ezekiel with amusement.

"Who are they?"

_

I've been busy earlier this week hence couldn't upload. I'll give an extra update on Tuesday. Btw, this book is now complete on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 2 chapters on Inkitt for free. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3