𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

-HER-

I waited for him to speak but he remained silent for a while. I looked at him from the corner of my eyes. His eyes were still set on the sunset and they looked slightly unfocused. It seemed like he was lost in his thoughts.

"Ezekiel?" I called for him. In response, he hummed before burying his nose in the crook of my neck and holding my waist tighter. My wolf stirred inside me while something fluttered in my stomach. "Ezekiel, I asked you something," I reminded him while I tried to control all the emotions that were triggered by the sensation of being with him.

At that moment I was reminded that we were embracing after days.

"That river," He finally started to speak. His voice was again a whisper, so weak and fragile that it would have been lost in the whistling of the evening wind if her weren't whispering in my ear. "She's my mother... technically. She was my father's only wife,"

"What do you mean by only wife?" I found myself butting in.

"He was the first Lycan in our linage to have only one wife," He responded.

"And what about that harem?"

"I meant legal wife. Whatever went in the bedsheets doesn't have to be reflected in legal sheets,"

"Your family already sounds fvcked up," I couldn't help but comment which he ignored.

"My father wanted an heir so my mother gave him one— Balthazar. Now, my mother is part goddess while my father was a lycan. In the laws of nature, they were only supposed to have one offspring and that was Balthazar. Everything was going great until Balthazar fell terribly sick. He was almost declared dead at one point. My father couldn't stand this so he asked my mother to produce another heir which wasn't possible anymore but they terribly needed one at that time so I was created from the molten lava of a volcano under the sea into which Levanine river, my mother, falls,"

When he fell silent briefly, I asked, "Why molten lava?"

"To make me a strong heir. They wanted to have me permanently in case Balthazar died, but that motherfvcker recovered soon after I was made. I wasn't needed anymore so I was discarded. Well, they kind of tried but it didn't work because I was made of lava. My father didn't want two heirs because that would either end up the kingdom being cut in half or there would be some sort of family assassination later which was actually very common in my father's and grandfather's reign but again, it was not easy to discard me so I was kept trapped there..." He trailed off as he pointed at the river.

"There's a world under the river and it's fvcking dark. I spent my entire childhood there, completely forgotten and forbidden from the outer world but I wasn't going to just forgive them for bringing me into existence and then putting me in confinement for the rest of my life. I waited... I schemed and when I was finally able to get out of there, I seized power from my brother who had been already crowned king. It wasn't easy. There were serval wars. I lost most of them but I didn't give up. I put a check on my mother's mortality and killed a lot of my brother's supporters before I could finally get to him. I wanted to kill him but that woman wouldn't let me do that so now he lives with her in that dark world. Previously that belonged to me as well but there was a treaty signed between us that stated that the world under the river was his and promised peace to both of us until one of us gets into another's territory without permission,"

I was silent all the while, listening to his words and processing them in my head. To say that I wasn't overwhelmed to hear about his past would have been the biggest lie. I was blinking tears as I saw the last bit of the sun finally disappear behind the mountains, letting the darkness finally take over us. I felt his arm tighten more around me as he again buried his face in the crook of my neck as if searching for some warmth.

I shivered. I didn't know what to say to him or how to react. I could now start to put some puzzles of his personality together but at the same time, this didn't justify the things that he did or said. He was still a manwhore, sexist, chauvinist, and scheming son of a bastard to me.

It was getting cold and that place wasn't very ideal for us to stand for long but still, I didn't feel like moving anytime soon.

"We're going to win this war," I finally broke the silence.

"I am going to win this war," He corrected me, "Because you are going to stay away from my mother and my brother because if they find you out, it would be over for both of us,"

"Then what am I supposed to do here?" I asked him.

"Why? We still have the Drakkons to take care of. Deal with them. I know you could easily deal with them with just a bunch of your wolves even if they come with an army of thousands," Ezekiel told me. Again, I was finding it hard to believe that Ezekiel had said that. I really wanted to hold him and shake like a salt sprinkler and ask him to stop acting but the way he was speaking, it sounded like he meant it.

Or wait? Would it be someone else in disguise?

The sparks instantly dismissed this doubt but still, hearing something like that from Ezekiel was nothing less than a miracle. Today was the day packed with the most surprises I would ever have in my life. Maybe, Ezekiel was finally starting to show his other side to me. Or maybe, he was just acting like this to sleep with me though something told me that this was genuine.

We stayed there for a while before we finally returned to our camp, feeling tired and slightly defeated until we saw a huge army of lycans waiting for us along with a lot of ammunition and a lot of hearty food.

_

Vote. comment. Share. follow me

Read the COMPLETE book on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Also available on Patreon: The Lycan King's Mate (sequel), Mr Night, Stefaan, The Gentleman's Trial, Made For Him, The Beta's Catch, Marmadoke, Exclusive books and many more!

Read the next 2 chapters on Inkitt for Free. The link is in my bio.

thanks for reading <3