𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲

-HER-

His wife was definitely surprised by my demand and so was he but I'd given my price. If he wanted me then he had to make me his queen. It was as simple as that yet I saw the doubt and uncertainty in his blue eyes. It was clear. I wasn't for him. He may be a king but he didn't have it in him to afford me.

"I cannot make you my queen," He told me after a brief stretch of silence. He didn't need to say that. I already knew that.

"Then you cannot have me," I told him shrugging and he definitely didn't look happy with it.

"I cannot make you my queen," He repeated, "Yet but I can already start treating like you one," He added his catch but I was a woman with my priorities straight. I knew exactly what I wanted and I wasn't going to settle for anything less no matter what.

"Treat me like one? So that you get all the benefits without ever giving me the title? You wouldn't have me that way," I told him clearly, holding his uncertain gaze as I slightly leaned back and watched him. I glanced at his wife briefly. She looked confused.

"And besides, you have her already. I'm not going to be anyone's second," I made it clear and saw a new flame in his eyes.

"I am not willing to comprise either of you," He told me, "I want you both and I will have you both when we get back to my palace. Until then, I'd take care for both of you,"

I shook my head at him. Why was it hard for men to understand that it was as hard for women to share their partners as it was for them?

"You don't get me," I told him, "If you wish to have me exclusively then you'd have to be exclusive for me as well," I told him.

"I'm a King. I'm supposed to have as many mates to make sure I have an heir,"

"I'm not interested in giving you an heir. You can leave me and besides, the one waiting for me back home wants only me," The latter was a big lie but I needed to lie at that moment.

I could see it in his eyes that he was deeply smitten by me... or rather by the way I looked and he was having trouble accepting this that I had my own conditions if he wished to have me. I think it was the first time for him when a woman didn't throw herself in his arms just because he was the King.

Well, good for him. At least he got to know that there were a different variety of women out there who didn't want him regardless of his royalty. After all, variety is the spice of life.

"Ruel," He spoke this time with an odd calmness. His voice sounded soft as he told me, "Both of us know at the end what's going to happen but if you don't wish to accept it then that's fine. I can give you time. In fact, you have a lot of time until we return to the palace. You must come to terms with what I told you until then,"

The nerve of this man! For a moment, I considered all the possibilities of him being Ezekiel's lost brother. I'd be damned if they shared any relation because they seemed like the birds of the same flock.

"We'll see about that," I told him, crossing my arms on my chest and narrowing my eyes at him. I wanted to stab him already but I decided that would have to wait.

"Ruel," The wife spoke up for the first time. Her voice was tranquil and soft, "You should take your time to think about this. He's a good man. He'll take good care for both of us,"

If she really thought that then I felt deeply sorry for her but at that moment, all I could do was play along because I had to keep my neck attached to my shoulder.