2.3

-HER-

Pax sat beside me in the carriage while I glared out of its window, watching Zaeris disappear behind the thick fog. It was the next day and I was finally being sent to Thastonia. Arsinoe was accompanying me. She was sitting opposite to me in silence, watching me tensely.

"I will miss you," Arsinoe told me.

"Of course you will," I muttered, feeling raged and disappointed. Even though it was stupid to even think about it but I was contemplating running. Running somewhere where they couldn't find me.

"I mean it, Celeste," she told me firmly. At this, I finally turned to look at her with my eyes filled with angry tears. I was constantly blinking them away.

"I expect better from you," I told her.

"I know," she sighed deeply, "But Ezekiel is involved in this now, Celeste. I saved you as long as I could," she assured me. I looked away with another wave of angry tears blurring my vision. Pax purred beside me before he laid his head on my lap to comfort me. I instantly started to run my fingers through his soft fur.

"Everything would be alright," Arsinoe tried to assure me after a while but what did she know about the mess that I had created with the Lycan King? He was on an entirely different level.

"Of course," I mumbled.

"You can write to me whenever you want. I will try to help you as much from my side," Arsinoe added.

"Thank you," I muttered, glaring out at the snow that was falling heavily. The silence that shrouded the carriage next was a tensed one. I could feel that Arsinoe wanted to say a lot more to me but she couldn't. On the other hand, I didn't have much to say.

"You can come to visit us whenever you want," she told me after a while.

"As if he would let me,"

She fell silent again.

"I'm sure he will," she tried to sound hopeful. At this, my head snapped to her.

"This could be the last time you might be seeing me, Arsinoe," I told her, "You have no idea how he could be!" I almost cried. She looked a bit troubled but assured me again that everything would be alright.

I was finally hit with this strong wave of anxiousness when our carriage entered Thastonia. We were let inside without any checks because it was a Royal carriage since Arsinoe was traveling. I felt my stomach tighten when I saw the woods outside.

There was no snow here and it was relatively warmer here— just what I hated. I could feel a lump building in my throat when I was finally able to spot the top of Ezekiel's huge palace. It stood on a citadel, shrouded with mist and clouds, looking down at the rest of the kingdom.

A shiver ran down my spine when I remembered my last time there. It wasn't pleasant and I doubted that my experience would be different this time. I glanced at Arsinoe briefly to find her shifting hesitantly on her seat a bit. I think she now realized what she was getting into.

My heart stopped beating for once when the carriage halted. At this point, I was even scared to look out of the window because I knew exactly where we were. Neither Arsinoe nor I made an effort to get out of the carriage when it stopped.

It wasn't until the driver had opened the door did we move.

A wave of bottled emotions washed over me when I stepped out of the carriage and came face to face with the huge place in front of us. The giant stone stairs to the courtyard stood in front of us. I didn't want to take any step further from here, knowing what was waiting inside for me.

I took my time, looking at the familiar building. A lightning bolt cracked the sky in half above the palace as I studied it. Meanwhile, I felt Arsinoe step beside me. The mist was thickening as the angry grew clouds crowded in the sky, ready for a heavy downpour.

"Let's get going then," Arsinoe tried to sound cheerful beside me but I didn't say anything. As we climbed the stairs and stepped into the courtyard, a Royal attendant came to meet us and take us inside.

I saw some familiar faces inside but I didn't feel the enthusiasm to see them again. Arsinoe was chatting away with the Royal attendant about random things while I studied the place. There was not a trace of a woman or anything feminine throughout the whole place but I knew that this was misleading because there was a whole fvcking harem tucked into the heart of this palace.

I felt an uneasiness washed over me as we further walked towards the court of the palace but fortunately, the Royal attendant didn't take us there but instead, he led us to this beautiful lounge to wait in.

It had a huge window that looked out at the front of the place. It had already started to rain outside. I stood by the window and glared outside with Pax sitting by my feet. Arsinoe stood behind me surrounded by silence.

I knew that she wanted to say something to me but she couldn't because of the tension in the air.

And then I felt him.

I felt his presence first before I felt his eyes burning at my back. Instantly, Arsinoe turned around and greeted him. He greeted her back, with his eyes still burning on my back. I didn't turn around yet. I was able to see a faint reflection of him on the glass.

All his dreadlocks were missing. He looked different than how I had seen him the last time, a bit on the leaner side.

Arsinoe did the formalities before she bid me goodbye. I simply nodded over my shoulder before I heard her walk away, leaving the two of us alone.

_

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read up to chapter 30 on Patreon. The Link is in my bio.
Also available on Patreon: Mr Night, The Beta's Catch, Made For Him and other exclusive stories

Read the next chapter on Inkitt for free. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3