𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

-HER-

I marched into the shadows of the woods and that obnoxious lycan followed me shamelessly, not caring if my whole tent had been torn down and I probably wouldn't have any place to sleep throughout the journey nor about the fact that the whole camp was now awake and startled by our small moment.

It was going to be very hard explaining this to them the next morning. I mean I couldn't start to wonder what I was going to tell them. As far as I'd thought, I'd go something like this— There's nothing to worry about. It's just that the Lycan Emperor and I had a small misunderstanding on a very minor little subject. We couldn't decide who was uglier so we decided to settle it over a useless duel which didn't only destroy my tent, it also awakened the whole camp. I assure you it has nothing to do with him barging into my tent and asking me how he could apply to sleep with me as if I was just another woman in his harem!

Ugh!

I didn't realize that I was very deep into the woods until Ezekiel gave me a warning growl from behind. I stopped in my tracks instantly.

It was the two of us now. The camp was far away and even if we decide to kill each other here, no one would find out anything. Gathering whatever last scrapes of patience and sanity I was left with, I filled my lungs with a deep breath and finally turned to face him.

Our gazes locked and as one of our customary ways of greeting, we exchanged a couple of silent glares.

"What do you want from me, Ezekiel?" I demanded from him, burning away the last bits of patience that I had reserved. It would be completely his fault if I decide to push him into a huge river monster's mouth tomorrow.

"I told you I needed to talk to you,"

"About what!" It was a wonder for me how I didn't scream that at him. His glowing eyes watched me in the dark and the woods stood still and listened to us. Were they enjoying this?

He gave me another long minute of silence before finally answering my question, "I don't want you to go beyond this, Celeste. It's not safe,"

This time, he sounded severely grim. Whatever hints of playfulness he'd displayed inside my tent earlier were now completely gone now.

"I know what is out there, Ezekiel. I am more informed and prepared than you think," I gritted at him but this time, something else flickered in his eyes. It wasn't the determination to prove that I was a weakling.

No. It was something else. Something that didn't look familiar in his eyes. It looked alien. Was it fear?

I couldn't tell. It was gone way sooner than I could make anything out of it.

"No, you don't!" He shot back at me, "I'm doing a great favor by—"

"I never asked for a favor from you, Ezekiel," I gritted at him, "And I don't need one. I am tired and I don't feel like arguing or fighting with you. Get out of my way," I commanded, not caring if he was an emperor.

Though this was my fault because this brought the determination back in his eyes.

"I'm not leaving until you pledge to go back from here," He gritted back at me. My chest vibrated with a growl. It sounded more like a challenge.

"Ezekiel, I'm not going back from here and nothing could make me change my mind," I growled and darted towards the camp even after knowing that his lycan was far more superior than my wolf in terms of strength and speed and it wouldn't take him long to catch me.

I was right.

He caught up to me and before I knew it, he had me pinned against a tree. I raised my knee but he caught it with his legs and glared at me. Our bodies were pressed against each other and our faces were just inches away.