𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

-HER-

After I left his tent, I wished to disappear somewhere I could be never seen again because I was done with this bullshit. I wanted it to be over. I wanted to go home, curl up and cry until I have no tears left anymore.

I couldn't believe that I fell for something like this. I should have known. How could I be so naive even after all of this had happened? Ezekiel is not the one to just accept me for who I am so easily. I am sure if those arrows weren't there then he would have been still questioning my capabilities to fight a war instead of going to the actual war.

I should have known...

I somehow managed to hide from him in the night but the next morning I had to appear, not in front of him but in front of the rest of my army to see what was left of them after such a brutal war.

I could feel his eyes burning on me as I checked my wolves. Five more wolves had died in the second war and some were injured but they were quickly recovering. On the other hand, the Lycan's situation wasn't that good.

Their death toll was higher and almost all the Lycans I could see in the camp were injured in some way or the other. Even Ezekiel and Tryfon were injured but as far as I could look and say— they were recovering and by the time we reach Thastonia, they would have recovered properly.

I felt his burning eyes on me as we traveled throughout the day. I didn't glance at him or utter a single word as I led my army but did that stop him from approaching me?

No.

He was doing all sorts of things to get my attention but I just couldn't afford to look at him because I was afraid that I might burst out crying if I see the arrows sticking out from his back. He looked completely unaware of them and this made it even worse.

There was another reason I didn't want to look at him because whenever I did, I saw something much more strange and it made me feel very uneasy. It was best for me to pretend that it just wasn't there.

The sun was about to set and we were hoping to cover another mile before setting up our camps. On our way, we were met with the same tribal woman who had asked for Monk's leaves on our journey to the valleys.

I had almost forgotten about those things in the war but fortunately, Lua remembered about them. She handed the Tribe chief a sack full of monk's leaves. We waited as they checked them. When they looked satisfied with those leaves, they invited us to their tribe.

It was already dark so I ended up accepting her invitation. Going to the tribe turned out to be a good way for me to ignore Ezekiel again because the woman chief was really impressed with me and she wanted to hear everything that went into the valley. Her tribe members were also very hospitable to us so it was a great night after all.

But Ezekiel wasn't someone who gave up soon. He waited until everyone went to sleep. I had snuck back into my tent and had laid down when he visited me. I acted to be asleep and unaware of his presence in my tent but he knew me better.

"Why the fvck are you avoiding me, Celeste?" He growled in my face while I was sleeping.

One should learn how to corner someone from Ezekiel.

"Avoiding you?" I had to speak up because he was literally breathing in my face, "what makes you think that?"

"You've been avoiding me like a plague since yesterday, Celeste. I tried to talk to you so many times but you just keep acting as if I am not even there," He gritted, sounding angry and hurt at the same time. I opened my eyes to glare at him.

"Who do you think you are, Ezekiel?"

"Your fvcking mate,"

"Oh, so now I'm your mate?" I asked him, giving him an angry push at his chest but he didn't budge a bit. His eyebrows came together as he looked at me in bewilderment.

"What happened to you, Celeste?" He asked me, searching my face urgently for something but all I gave him were glares.

"What do you mean by that, Ezekiel?"

"You're not talking to me anymore—"

"— what would I talk to you about Ezekiel? My work here is done. I will be returning to Zaeris once we get back to Thastonia. I hope you remember that this was a military cooperation. I was here to work not to please you,"

"I don't want you to please me. I want you to stay here,"

"And why do you think I would do that?" I growled in his face, seething. In repose, he looked at me with more bewilderment and hurt.

"Celeste, I—"

"Get off me, Ezekiel. I am not going to put up with your bullshit anymore!" I growled, giving him a strong push that took him off guard.

"Celeste," He tried to talk to me.

"I don't want to hear from you again. It's better if you pretend I don't exist anymore because I am done with you," I told him, blinking angry tears. A lump was building in my throat, pushing my voice on the verge of breaking. I wanted to burst out crying the more I looked at him.

He was there.

It was there.

I needed to leave. Now.

"I don't understand, Celeste. We were starting to get along together," He growled, trying to reach for me. I scooted away from him at the right time before I took my sword.

"We will never get along, Ezekiel. The quicker you wrap your head around this, the better it would be for us,"

"I don't fvcking understand what happened to you all of a sudden!" He snapped and with this, the dam of my patience finally broke.

"Nothing happened to me, Ezekiel. I just realized this more than ever than we shouldn't be together. We couldn't be together even if we fvcking try to. This was all just a setup by the gods to entertain themselves. We are being played. We have been tricked. We are not mates. We never could be. There's just no point in us being together. No one will be happy," And with that, I pulled out all those arrows which were sticking from his back and tossed them in front of him.

"I'm leaving," I almost sobbed. "You should too. I will make sure we never see each other again. That would be the best for the two of us. Bye!" I growled and with that, I stormed out of that tent. I went looking for Lua instantly and told her to awake the wolves.

While she did that, I went to find the chief to say goodbye.

That was the last time I ever saw Ezekiel.

_

Vote. comment. Share. follow me

Read the COMPLETE book on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Also available on Patreon: The Lycan King's Mate (sequel), Mr Night, Stefaan, The Gentleman's Trial, Made For Him, The Beta's Catch, Marmadoke, Exclusive books and many more!

Read the next 2 chapters on Inkitt for Free. The link is in my bio.

thanks for reading <3