𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

-HIM-

I never saw her after that. I went to Zaeris several times for several reasons but I never got to see her again. Ever.

This agitated my lycan but I never showed it on the surface. I acted the opposite. I acted as if I really didn't care where she was and why she wasn't around whenever I went to Zaeris. I acted as if it really didn't matter to me but deep down, I was dying to know where she was and how she was and why I wasn't able to see her.

On the surface, I acted as if I'd never really met her but deep down, I hoped for a chance to see her again. As the years passed, my lycan and I got more and more agitated. At one point, I could have done anything to see her, even just a glimpse of her would have been enough for my tortured lycan but all of a sudden, she seemed to have disappeared.

I wouldn't have admitted it out loud but for a moment, I was actually scared. She occupied my thoughts more than I could have ever allowed. A part of me was starting to think that I hadn't met her in the first place and it was all just a part of my imagination.

I thought that I should have been happier pursuing this thought but I wasn't. I was terrified at a point to just think that all of this could have been a dream— something new that those women in my harem had made up to simply entertain me. But I kept telling myself that this just wasn't possible like that.

"Where's she?" I'd asked Nefret once I'd gotten very frustrated with her absence. Several years had passed since that incident and after that, she seemed to have disappeared in thin air and her memory was also starting to fading away but my lycan was clinging to it like a ray of hope in the darkness. Whatever happened to her, I wanted to know— I needed to know!

At this, Nefret'd turned to me and cocked an eyebrow while a look of bewilderment had climbed on her face. I was aware that she knew about Celeste. Nefret knew just too much than I would have liked.

"Who?" She'd asked me.

"Her," I'd gritted as I'd scanned the crowd from the balcony we were seated on. I'd already forgotten why I was in Zaeris at that time. I just needed to see her— just a glance would've lightened me up from the inside.

Nefret's vibrant blue eyes had bored into me with an amount of intensity that I'd have disliked. I'd have threatened her if she weren't a woman and if Arles hadn't been standing right beside me, looking down at the crowd. I remembered being invited to a ceremony for Arles' third grand-pup. The way things were progressing, I knew that Arles' time to step down wasn't away. He'd then have to pass it to his son and that enchantress who claimed to be his mate, Arsinoe.

I hated her as well. How couldn't I? She was going to be the Queen of the Wolves. She was very much like Nefret, but much more blunt. I could already see myself having a hard time dealing with her.

"Why?" Nefret had questioned me, the intensity in her eyes had been enough to penetrate my skin. I hadn't like it a bit. Especially, that power oozing off her. She was a woman. The only thing she was allowed to be was submissive.

"Answer my question first," I'd gritted at her and had earned a sharp look from Arles. He might haven't said it out loud but I had known that he was on the verge of exhausting his patience with me.

To be honest, I'd been disappointed in him too for a long, long time. But I'd been surer that his son and his cabinet of ministers were going to disappoint me even more.

"She is in a great place. Doing much better and really happy," Nefret had answered with a mocking smile. I had clenched my fist and jaw. I had to contain myself from glaring at her because Arles was there. I wouldn't have risked it in a situation like that.