𝐨𝐧𝐞

Celeste searched the thick coat of snow on the edge of the woods with her pursed lips. She squinted her eyes to see better into the ghostly white snow.

"I know you're hiding somewhere there, Pax," She declared. She scanned the snow again but she found no trace of the giant and fluffy snow leopard that was also her second shadow.

"Come on, Pax. We're getting late. I'll play with you tomorrow," she frowned, unable to spot that leopard anywhere. The sun had already disappeared behind the thick grey clouds, taking the light with it.

They'd played enough and it was now time to head home but the snow leopard seemed to have other plans.

She gruffed when Pax didn't come out of hiding.

"Fine!" She snapped and ventured deeper into the woods, looking for the snow leopard. "I wonder where you're hiding," she muttered, following the small trail in the woods.

It had started to snow as she moved deeper into the trees. The night had slowly started to descend, making the place darker and colder. She wanted to get out of there sooner. Celeste searched for any paw marks on the snow but there were none. This hanged a frown on her face.

"Where're you, Pax?" She called out for her leopard very sweetly but he didn't answer her back. This deepened the frown on her face.

"We're getting late, Pax," she spoke out loud into the woods for him to hear but still, she got nothing in response. She was quite deep into the woods now. The sight of the palace had been eaten by the naked, frosty trees.

Those trees stood very still and silent and there was not a single noise there, except for the hushed songs of the night gale. It gently ruffled her hair but it didn't please her as the summer wind would've.

Instead, it agitated her.

Her wolf stirred inside her too, both of them got this same feeling in their gut that had their alarms ringing. Something was wrong.

She grew very silent and listened to the hushes of the chilly air. She was very tempted to ask the air where her beloved leopard was but she refrained from doing so. She could only use these skills in a rare, life-threatening situation.

Suddenly, a noise pierced through the hissing gale, sending a chill down her spine. Her eyes widened, heartbeats quickened and senses heightened.

She knew what that sound was. She'd heard the familiar sound of the arrows leaving the bows of the hunters. Although the thing she didn't like about it was the last shriek of the animal it'd hit.

Someone was out there, hunting.

This pushed her in panic. What if Pax was hit? The thought fed her panic even more.

"PAX!" She shouted in the woods instantly but still, there was no response, not even from the hunter. She didn't waste a second and phased into her grey wolf and darted in the direction of the sound.

The thick snow was the only thing that slowed her down but she was determined to find her beloved snow leopard. She wouldn't let anyone take him away from her.

Another sound of blow pierced through the woods as she ran. This made her pump her legs faster. Her heart was thundering in her chest and adrenaline rushed through her veins.

The rest of the world faded away for her while she ran towards the source of the sound. The wind whooshed by her and the trees parted to make way for her. She heard noises as the snow started to thin out.

She was near one of the main roads, lined with naked and frosty trees on both sides, which lead to the heart of Zaeris.

The coaster of hooves and the grunts of the horses declared that a visitor was walking on the road, headed deeper into the kingdom.