death note : the musical ~ depression (hurt/comfort) ~ rem & ryuk

A/N : This takes place pre canon in the musical continuity (hence the title), so the characterizations and little details will be closer to that of the Japanese version of the musical, though certain elements from the anime lore may be included when necessary. This is NOT a Ryuk x Rem fic

"I'm bored" Ryuk whined loudly as he laid on the ground of the wasteland that he and his fellow Shinigami had to live in. Normally Rem would roll her eyes at his incoherent screaming, but today she didn't even acknowledge it, almost as though she didn't hear him.

"Rem" he said in a loud and whiny tone as he crawled towards her, too tired to force himself to stand. "I'm bored" he complained again as he reached her. Still, she did not respond. Instead, she simply glanced down at him, her eyes glazed over like they did whenever she was sad or numb.

"You look sad" Ryuk stated blankly, poking at her forehead with one of his fingers and laughing as he did so. "It's the humans, Ryuk" she responded flatly, gesturing down at the ever present window into the human realm. Ryuk groaned in annoyance as he glanced at it. He didn't particularly care for humans, but at least the human realm had stuff to do. Up here in the Shinigami realm, there was only three things one could do. Play around with some bones. Gamble. Kill some humans.

"What about them?" Ryuk asked as he reached over to the apple he had lying on the ground. He groaned slightly as he saw some bone dust on it. "That thing they call 'love'" Rem seemed almost envious of their human emotions for a moment. "It just seems so fulfilling for them. When they feel love, all their worries seem to just fade away, if only momentarily" she explained. "It makes me wonder why us Shinigami can't have it"

"Love is for mortals and fools, Rem" Ryuk replied nonchalantly. It was true, to an extent. The one time a Shinigami had fallen for a human, it resulted in their own demise. Besides, Ryuk didn't see what all the hype was about anyway. The idea of "dating" anyone just sounded unfulfilling and exhausting. He'd rather just sit around, gamble, and eat apples.

"I know" Rem replied quietly, avoiding his gaze. He let out a loud sigh, realizing that repeating their shitty mantra had not done her any favors. He threw his apple on the ground and crawled over to where she was lying down in front of the window.

"Yo" he said softly with a stupid grin on his face. Rem just glanced at him briefly before returning her gaze to the humans. At last I have her attention Ryuk thought to himself, letting out a small, incoherent shout. "Look, love is a stupid word" he started. This time Rem held the glare, causing the male Shinigami to chuckle slightly. "However" he continued, awkwardly throwing an arm over her back. "I can try and assist with whatever emotional turmoil you are undergoing"

This time, Rem was the one to laugh. It was so deeply amusing to her, this death god helping her with something as foolish as her emotions. "Thanks, Ryuk" she said simply, finally turning away from the window. She could dwell on those feelings later. Right now, they didn't matter.

"Now" Ryuk said, actually standing as he grabbed the dusty apple and took a big bite out of it. "I am highly tempted to drop my death note into the human realm" he explained with a mischievous smile. "Maybe cause some trouble down there" a maniacal laugh followed. "It's just so boring up here. I want fun"

"Ryuk, I have no issue with hitting you"