35

The next day I was consumed by doubt and my mind was still foggy. I couldn't sleep at all even if the damage I had sustained left me exhausted. I was driven by a lingering hum in my veins the entire evening. If that wasn't enough to keep me awake, the sight of Kakashi asleep on my arm chair on the other side of my bedroom was. He had situated himself and the chair so that he could glance in my direction at any time without moving. His legs were over one arm as his back rested against the other. His head settled against the back of the chair in a partially relaxed pose. I still couldn't tell if he stayed the night because he was still worried about me or if he wanted to make sure I didn't lose myself and go kill someone. Either way the entire ordeal was confusing.

Even then at some point before morning I had found myself standing above him thinking about tasting him. Rubbing my face I set down the groceries I had decided to go get the moment the shops opened this morning. The only thing that had stopped me was how tired he actually looked. When he was awake he never let on about his exhaustion but while asleep. I could finally notice the purpling bags of sleep deprivation against the moonlight shining through my window. It looked as if he hasn't gotten a decent night's sleep in a long time. Which when I thought about it I could see it. When we left for our mission to track down Orochimaru's hideout, he was usually the one on watch awake. Even when we were coming back after the Akatsuki took the three tails he stayed awake with me. It was my rush against time that forced him back out of the village again, right after we got back. The guilt I felt somehow overpowered the practically vibrating drive inside me to bite him. So, I left him alone and sat there silently near the chair watching him sleep along with the moon in the sky.

Pulling out the cookware, utensils, plates, and cups I situate the pans on the stove and the rest of the dishes on the counter. Making sure everything was in place before pulling the food out of their bags. It's been years since I last prepared a meal in my own home. The thought had me pausing momentarily as I cut the vegetables. "The last time I had done this.. was for Light and Taiyo." I whisper quietly to myself as I watch the knife I am using slice through the bell forcing myself to focus on the task at hand instead of letting myself fall back into that pit. "Who's Taiyo?" His hesitant question meets my ears ever before he comes through the door of the kitchen. I found myself biting my lip as I crack the eggs into a bowl before I pick it up and begin to whisk it. "My son." I answer more rushed then I had hoped as I turn my back on the man in my kitchen. "Your.." He begins only pausing when I find myself shaking my head. I already told him I took Light's son as my own. But it seems there are different aspects of my story he keeps overlooking. I nearly sigh before I bite my lip to prevent it. "He was actually Light's and Misa's son, but I took him as my own and raised him after his mother died when he wasn't even a day old."

"That's, difficult." He breathes almost as if those weren't exactly the words he had wanted to choose. Pouring the eggs into the pan I wait a minute watching the layer becoming light and fluffy with still the lingering gooey on top before grabbing the ingredients and coating the eggs with the bells, onions, and mushrooms. "Not really. I didn't like the girl, she had taken Light from me when I had needed him most." I spout off as my voice loses the fleeting emotions again nearly making me frown. "Did..." He begins as I hear him step up to the counter behind me. I knew what he wanted to ask. Did I do it? "It wouldn't be like you." He mutters more to himself nearly causing me to glance in his direction as I roll the omelette. He obviously doesn't know me. Sliding it onto one of the brand new plates I click off the stove and turn towards him. His conflicted gaze moving from me down to the food I had prepared, almost skeptically. "I used to cook all the time. It won't eat you."

Lightly chuckling he reaches out and takes the plate I offered him. "We'll see." He states almost playfully as he grabs a fork I had on the counter and walks to the table. "I did." I mutter watching as his movements pause. Turning away from him I decide to work on cleaning and putting things away. "I killed her in a way Light wouldn't know it was me." I speak out as I turn on the faucet. "It was my first lie I ever told him. He asked me outright if I killed her and I lied to him so easily." Feeling his gaze on my back I fall silent as I clean what I had dirtied when I cooked him breakfast. "I've never told anyone that." I sigh as I dry them, putting them away as I go. "Why me?" His question catches me by surprise as I turn and see him sitting at the table, the food I had made him already vanished from sight. "I've always trusted you." I remind him before I walk up to the counter and set my hands on the counter top allowing my hair I left down to flow past my face and onto the counter surface. Lowering my gaze from him. "That's a lie." I sigh. "You actually care, not because of a curse or spell. It's your own feelings. I guess.. I thought maybe it was time you know who I am and what I've done."