42

Chapter 42

*Aphrodite*

The next day Kira and I were both summoned to the Hokage's office and we were now standing side by side in front of his desk waiting to hear what he needed us for. Glancing to Kira from the corner of my eye I noticed the same look that I had come home to. A completely void expression. No emotions lingering in her gaze. Not even a glare being shown towards anyone. She just seemed to be standing there looking past Lord Third so she can see out the window. Almost as if our being called to his office was a trivial matter that she was able to figure out the moment she was summoned. Last night when I had returned home I had expected her to be waiting for me. Ready to yell at me for my impudence from earlier in the night. Yet she had shown no such anger. She was sitting on the railing of our balcony just staring up at the moon in silence. Even when I had tried to speak to her she made no move to respond or that she had even heard me. She was lost in her thoughts consisting of who knows what.

"I think it's time." Lord third spoke seriously addressing us as his unwavering gaze was trained upon the two of us. "I have spoken with those closest to you and none of them seem to be willing to tell me. Even though I am their leader they all told me the same thing. To speak with the two of you directly." Huh? Did we do something wrong for this to happen? What's he referring to? "I have been patient for almost eight years knowing you two were keeping something from me. I've been waiting for you to trust me enough to tell me yourselves but it seems that if I am to know I have to request you to tell me." Oh. That. I felt my eyes nearly widen at my own realization even though Kira had made no movement to even show she was listening to him. "I wish to know what it is you both have deemed important enough to keep from me."

"Like what Lord Third?" I question hoping that I could find a way around telling him everything. Let's face it. I have far too many secrets.

"Nearly 8 years ago you appeared just outside of this village. Portrayed yourselves to be nothing more than innocent children. From having watched the two of you it did not take me long to figure out that it was an act. I do not doubt your words that you are from a different dimension and had somehow been transported here. Yet, there is more to your story than that. In nearly 8 years you girls have become my family and such are like granddaughters to me. It is for this reason I am asking you to tell me." Running my fingers through my hair and shooting my cousin one last glance I prepare myself to speak. He only needs to know enough to satisfy his curiosity anyway.

"Sorry Gramp but that's not necessary for you to know." Kira's cold tone flowed nearly inaudibly before I watched her turn to leave.

"Kira." Lord Third spoke up with a tone of warning as I turned my gaze fully upon my cousin's form. Without even glancing back to show she had heard, she just seems to walk out of the office.

"That's.. Not like her." I speak my own thoughts achieving a sound of agreement from Lord Third.

"She's been like this since I had seen her last night after what happened."

"It may be my fault. I had asked her some questions and she felt like I was suspecting her of being the one to kill Geko." Looking back towards him I exhale a sigh. "She just needs some time to cool down."

"I am sorry Aphrodite, I had hoped to have you both answer my question but it seems Kira isn't speaking to anyone."

"I understand Lord Third. It may not be my position to speak for her but I can speak of myself if that is alright with you." A spark of curiosity flashes through his gaze as he sets in silence waiting for me to continue speaking. "Before we had arrived here as we had said so many years ago we had been attacked. I was trying to protect my cousin who at the time had no knowledge of any sort of the skills she possesses. My little brother is the one who attacked us."