2

Chapter 2

I could hear Damen's laughter before the light even faded. Looking straight ahead I couldn't see Aphrodite. I suck in a worried breath before my gaze falls to my feet. Fully expecting to see her lying in a pool of blood or something. But the blonde tendrils glowing in the sun light definitely weren't tinged red. "You call that power!" Aphrodite's small voice yelled at her brother. "You didn't do anything to me!" She proclaims causing a bead of sweat to touch my forehead. Damen's eyes widen. A large creepy grin spreads across his face as his laughter became louder turning his face a dark shade of red from the lack of oxygen.

"Ummm.. Aphrodite.." I whisper towards her causing her to turn around. She was level with my thighs. I could see her eyes widen as a gasp escapes from her before she finally looked up. A small five year old version of Aphrodite with her large brilliantly blue eyes peering up at me nearly filling me with my own fit of laughter.

"Now!" Damen yells causing me to tear my eyes away from the comical sight in front of me. My gaze returns to Damen just in time to feel the heat of yet another bright violet light smacking me in the face.

My vision vanished from the intensity of the light; I couldn't make out anything but the blinding light in my eyes. Even as it began to fade that sight was replaced by shadows as my eyes attempt to adjust. "We need to go!" Aphrodite yells just before I feel her grab my hand and yank me off of the roof. Did I just.... Did the same thing that happened to my cousin just... No.. Right? I try to wrap my mind around the possibility while trying to use every ounce of my will so it would not be true.

"You won't get away that easily!" Damen yells from the edge of the roof. The shadows having finally begun to recede and clear my vision allows me to see him standing on top of the roof grinning down at us. "I will make it so no one ever finds you!" He declares his final words as he sends a ball of light in our direction as it slowly passes us. Mere moments before I hear something echoing throughout the area with a sickening crack as everything is engulfed in darkness.

"Kira... Kira wake up... Kira please wake up!" Faint sobs echo in my ears threatening to vibrate through my head. I could feel blades of grass tickling my nose and pain rushing through my body. Almost as if.. I had fallen more than just from the roof of the mansion. "Kira..." The childish voice came again causing me to open my eyes. Finding myself laying face down on the ground in what looks like a grove of overly huge trees.

"Wha..." I whimper as I push myself to my knees. My backpack adding to the difficulty of managing this much. Feeling as if it was much heavier than ever before. I raise my hand to my throbbing head sifting my fingers into my hair to touch my scalp.

"Oh Kira!" Aphrodite yells just as she wraps her arms around me. Her sobs of fear changing to tears of joy. "You're alright!"

"Yeah... ouch!" I snap as she squeezes my sore body a little too hard. "What's going on?" I finally manage to ask the question I dared not utter when we were running away from Damen.

"That is a long story. Are you sure we have enough time for that?" She asks setting back on her knees looking around. I allow myself to take in the sight around us of the empty forest and shrug.

"We seem to be out in the middle of nowhere. We should have time before Damen gets here. If.. He's even after us still."

"Okay then!" She exclaims before wincing at her own shrill voice. "Darn childish mood swings." She mumbles under her breath in grumbles before she shakes her head and looks at me again. "Anyway. Damen went missing like a month ago. Saying a family settling for second rate wasn't his cup of tea. So we went on as normal cuz ya know, mom said he only needed time to cool down. But then I heard word on the wind that someone was hunting the princess." I watch as she raises her arm to the back of her neck sheepishly. "I had no idea it was Damen until I got to your place. He was trying to open the very portal you and I went through into the Death note world. That's when... Well you came back. Quite unexpectedly might I say and about freakin time! I've been waiting for you for years!" Aphrodite exclaims now waving her arms around childishly before her cheeks go red once she realizes what she was doing. She raises her small fist to her mouth clearing her throat before continuing. "Anyways.. He was going to kill you. I don't know where the whole turning us into kids and sending us hell knows where came from!"