Chapter (25): Burning Up

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing here?" asked Georgina concerned. "You should stay in bed."

"I'm feeling dizzy and I needed a glass of water."

Georgina sighed. "Go to your bed and I'll bring it to you."

She put an arm around her waist while Wren put an arm around her shoulder for support as they walked to the bedroom and Georgina helped her settle in the bed and pulled the covers over her body. Georgina walked back to the kitchen, grabbed an empty glass and filled it up with water.

She brought her the water and she drank it and then Georgina touched her forehead with the back of her hand, feeling her temperature rising.

"You're feverish. Wait here..."

Wren shut down her eyes that were red and tired from the fever and then opened them slowly when she heard Georgina's footsteps approaching the side of the bed and put a wet washcloth on her forehead to absorb the temperature.

"You should see a doctor."

"No. No, doctor please. I'll be fine." She looked at her with her tired eyes and Georgina nodded with a concern. "Give me those damn papers."

She handed her the papers and the pen as she managed to sign them with her shaky hand then Georgina put them back in her bag and turned to Wren, running her hand on her feverish cheek and the other hand turned over the washcloth on her forehead.

"Do you need anything? Food, drink, medicine... anything?"

"No, thanks. I just need some rest." She gave her a reassuring smile which made Georgina smile in return. "Just take the papers to Eleanor and tell her I'm sorry I won't make it today to the meeting."

"Okay, but if you needed anything call me, alright?"

"Mm-hmm." She closed her eyes as tiredness started overcoming her body and once her eyes were shut as her body, Georgina gave her one last look before standing up, leaving the room and walking out of the house.

...................................................

Madeline was in her car, on her way back home. She called Wren more than once and got more worried when she answered none of them. She grabbed the phone from beside her and dialed Emily's and luckily for Madeline she picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Em, hi, it's me."

"Madeline! Hey! Sup, girl?"

"I'm fine... listen I've been reaching Wren since the morning in her office but she wasn't answering and I called her home but still nothing came out of it. Is she there with you? Is she having a meeting or something? I'm starting to get worried."

"Uh, no. She didn't come today. I think she's tired... like really tired. I also overheard Georgina tell Eleanor that Wren was sick and won't able to make it today at all."

"Alright, I'll go check on her. Thanks for the info... I was worried sick. She always does this to me when she never picks up her phone."

"That makes two of us."

Madeline sighed on the phone. "Alright, talk to you later then. Thanks, Em."

Instead of taking the turn to her way home, she steered the wheel in the opposite direction, driving to Wren's house, hoping she was fine. Twenty Minutes later, she arrived and entered the house, walking to the bedroom since Emily said she was sick. She found her lying on the bed, completely worn out and pale. She rushed by her side, taking the washcloth from her forehead and placed her palm on her forehead and her frown deepened when she felt her high temperature and her sweaty face.

"Wren... you're burning up."

Wren opened her eyes weakly and groaned from her aching tired body but managed to smile widely at Madeline. "Hey you."

Madeline straightened her lips and sighed. "Why didn't you call me if you're feeling so tired?"

"I guess I overslept..." She shivered under the covers. "Why is it so cold in here?"

"That's because you have a fever. I'm gonna call a doctor."

"No need." She grabbed her forearm. "I'll be okay. Don't worry about me."

"I have to, Wren. You're feverish and you need a prescription. What if it gets worse?" Wren shook her head and Madeline huffed. "You know what? I'm calling a doctor whether you like it or not." Madeline pulled out her phone as she went through her contacts. "You need to eat and you need a warm bath. Stay here." Wren gave her a pointed look indicating that she can't move in the first place from the tiredness and Madeline rolled her eyes.

"You know what I meant."

She got up from the bed and went to the bathroom, turning on the water in the tub and adjusted its temperature till it was warm enough for Wren to get in. Madeline helped Wren get up from the bed and walked with her to the bathroom, helped her take off her clothes and Wren got in the tub, relaxing in the warm water.

Madeline kneeled down and moved the water between her fingers reaching up to Wren's face, spilling some water on her shoulder, warming her a little with the bath sponge. Wren closed her eyes when she felt Madeline's hand caressing her neck with the warm water, up to her face.

"You'll be okay. I'll take care of you." she said softly, leading Wren to smile weakly.

"You always do."

..............................................

After taking her warm bath, Madeline brought some warm clothes to Wren, then led her to rest on her bed while she went and made her warm tomato soup and fed her till she was full. The doctor arrived shortly and examined her and prescribed her some meds and Madeline remained calm and patient during the process.

Wren's eyes started to give up to sleep, so she crawled down under the covers and closed her eyes while Madeline joined her wearing her PJs and wrapped her arms around Wren, enveloping her to keep her from the cold as she was shivering.

Madeline kissed her forehead and rubbed her back up and down initiating the heat and the warmth for Wren.

"I don't want you to get infected."

"I won't. Just close your eyes and rest, babe."

She stroked her hair and Wren's hand reached up from under the blanket, covering Madeline's hand, holding it and they both smiled at each other.

They both eventually gave up to sleep with Wren in Madeline's arms the whole night, keeping her warm. She woke up many times that night, checking on Wren's temperature that sometime were high and sometimes were low, but she took care of her all nightlong till tiredness washed over her and eventually joined Wren in her peaceful sleep.