Chapter (22): Dressed in Violet

Start from the beginning

"Just be careful, hon and rest assured that Wren won't fall for whatever she's planning to do, okay?" She smiled confidently. "Now let's start our day."

................................................

Wren finished her first meeting with Mrs. Caulfield and she was glad that it went peacefully without Caulfield's reminder of their past relationship before her wedding to Mr. Caulfield. Wren went to her office and was sipping her coffee while revising some papers and she heard a knock on the door that grabbed her attention.

Her father came in with his bright smile. She got up from her seat, walked over to him and gave him a hug.

"How was your meeting?"

"You know, good. We have some issues but nothing can't be solved with a little patience. Enough about work and tell me what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to pick Eleanor up for lunch and you should come and join us. You need to step out of this gloomy office for some air." he said as he looked around her office with a small smile.

"Hey there, it's not gloomy. And I'm the one who chose the wall paint and the decorations."

He chuckled softly. "Just come with us for a change."

She pursed her lips and released a weary sigh. "I'm sorry but I can't. I have a board meeting in about 2 hours and I need to get ready for it to crush it."

"And you will. Like you always do." He patted her shoulders. "So, you won't come?"

"Sorry."

"Alright, suit yourself and if you changed your mind, we'll save you a seat. Anyway; good to see you but right now I have to get my beautiful woman and take her out for lunch."

He gave her one last quick hug, headed for the door and stepped out of her office and once she turned around, her phone vibrated on her desk.

"Yep?" she answered with a smile, knowing the caller. "I hope you're gonna say it too right now."

"I'm sorry, babe but I won't make it today. I have a meeting and it's important. Sorry. I want to join you and spend some time with you in the fitting room like last time."

Wren chuckled softly. "It's okay. Don't worry about it. At least you would only see me in the wedding wearing it, so I'm gonna leave you hanging till then."

She heard Madeline chuckle on the phone, making her grin with her eyes closed, imagining her smile in front of her face right now.

"Okay, that sounds convincing enough and liberating me from the guilt I'm feeling right now."

"Well, don't blame yourself because of work. I think you and I know that sometimes our plans fail because of our duties that we're obliged to do."

"Yeah. You're the best."

"Hmm, tell me something I don't know." She said playfully.

"I love it when you wear causal."

Wren laughed softly. "Okay that was definitely something I didn't know about. I thought you liked the suits more."

Wren heard someone call Madeline's name and she knew it was the end of their call.

"I gotta go and I'm dying to see you in the new suit though."

"Me too. Dying to see you in the bridesmaid dress."

"Love you."

"Love you too."

She hung up on her and clutched the phone in her hand, smiling then turned back to her desk, getting ready for the next meeting.